Histologist - CDH Histopathology, Full-time, Nights, $10,000 Sign-on Bonus
- 25 N. Winfield Rd., Winfield, IL
- Job Shift: Night Job (3rd)
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Histologist reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Histologist is responsible for tissue processing and various slide preparations for anatomic pathology department.
- Presents a friendly, approachable, professional demeanor and appearance.
- Provides accurate information and timely updates to patients and customers.
- Addresses questions and concerns promptly, or identifies appropriate person and resources to do so.
- Provides directions or help to patients and customers with finding their way.
- Uses effective service recovery skills to solve problems or service breakdowns when they occur.
- Demonstrates teamwork by helping co-workers within and across departments.
- Communicates effectively with others, respects diverse opinions and styles, acknowledges the assistance and contributions of others.
- Uses organizational and unit/department resources efficiently.
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing tasks and assignments on time.
- Contributes to opportunities and processes for continuous improvement.
- Participates in efforts to reduce costs, streamline work processes, improve and grow services we provide.
- Demonstrates confidence and success with multiple, high level, confidential and time sensitive tasks.
- Successfully takes on special projects as needed.
- Manages and operates histology equipment safely and correctly in accordance with SOP.
- Demonstrates computer skills to proficiently operate industry software used in Anatomic Pathology.
- Executes sectioning and staining of frozen tissue within 10 minutes.
- Embeds tissue at a rate of no less than 40 blocks per hour.
- Pays strict attention to tissue orientation.
- Verifies blocks with embedding log.
- Sections at a rate of no less than 30 blocks per hour.
- Prepares slides according to SOP or pathologist's request.
- Prepares solutions and reagents according to written protocol.
- Replenishes working solutions from stock and labels appropriately.
- Accurately performs staining procedures utilizing proper controls and staining techniques in accordance with SOP.
- Follows TJC National Patient Safety goals relevant to the department.
- Communicates clearly and appropriately.
- Maintains good working relationship within the department as well as ancillary departments.
- Answers department telephone in a polite manner, communicating messages appropriately and clearly to all staff members.
- Handles stressful situations in a professional manner, demonstrating ability to be organized and flexible.
- Works effectively with coworkers and customers to resolve problems and answer technical questions.
- Responds to inquiries and requests in a professional manner.
- Uses available resources to expeditiously solve problems.
- Accurately completes/reviews Quality Control/Quality Assurance.
- When areas of concern are identified, appropriate steps are taken to resolve issues; completing problem log, notifying call center or manufacturer.
- Report conclusions to supervisor or manager.
- Assists in the development of new procedures/tests.
- Offers suggestions for process improvements on current procedures.
- Orders and maintains appropriate levels of all supplies for the department.
- Records workload data completely and accurately.
- Accurately prepares, completes and processes department reports, audits, and other work related records as assigned in a timely manner.
- Participates in professional growth and development activities and shares knowledge from continuing education programs with coworkers.
- Attends annual review and departmental staff meetings.
- Reviews updated policies and procedures according to lab policy.
- Completes NM Learning courses by the due dates assigned.
- Acts as an integral member of the team by voluntarily pitching-in and demonstrating willingness to support coworkers.
- Willing to mentor new staff.
- Maintains a positive and productive attitude toward change.
- Organizes and prioritizes work in order to accommodate fluctuations in workload.
- Demonstrates flexibility and dependability in order to complete work while allowing for fluctuations.
- Initiates meeting of responsibilities without prompting.
- Associate's Degree Requirement: Upon hire must provide hard copy of diploma and/or transcripts of Associate's degree in Medical Technologist, Medical Lab Tech, Clinical Lab Science, Chemistry, Biology, or Allied Health qualifying the applicant to take the national ASCP certifying exam. Must provide proof of Education as stated in the CLIA guidelines.
- Must obtain Histotechnologist (HT) (ASCP) or equivalent certification within 1 year of hire date.
- Individual must meet requirements for performing high complexity testing as defined by federal licensing guidelines (CLIA) and accreditation agencies (TJC,CAP).
- One (1) year experience in a CAP accredited clinical histology laboratory.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.