Pharmacy Technician III (HC)-Oncology Clinic, Full-time, Rotating
- 251 E. Huron, Chicago, IL
- Job Shift: Rotating
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Pharmacy Technician III – HC SP reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
Under the direction of a registered pharmacist, the Pharmacy Technician III – HC SP performs all technical duties associated with the daily operation of the dispensing areas; performs prescription related, unit dose related, and sterile product related functions; performs manufacturing procedures that have been documented in the Department records. Primarily responsible for the more advanced and complex work performed by pharmacy technicians. Performs all Pharmacy Technician III duties as needed.
- Prepares medication orders for inpatients and outpatients.
- Prepares prescriptions for outpatients.
- Picks up orders and delivers medications to nursing units.
- Schedules intravenous admixture solutions according to the patient’s medical record. Reports any variance from the record to a pharmacist.
- Answers the telephone according to hospital policy. Screens the call to determine if the call should be handled by a pharmacist or a technician.
- Enters new drug orders and renewal/refill information into the computerized patient medication profile.
- Uses the computer system to assist in all dispensing and inquiry functions.
- Compares the patient medication bin with the pharmacy and nursing record. Returns unnecessary and/or outdated medication to the pharmacy. Reconciles use records and reports any discrepancies to a pharmacist.
- Receives, prepares, and distributes floor stock requisitions and requisitions for other clinical locations.
- Compounds dosage forms needed for dispensing to patients.
- Assists in maintaining adequate inventory levels in the dispensing areas.
- Packages extemporaneous and STAT single doses of medications under the supervision of a pharmacist.
- Prepares and maintains the emergency medication systems.
- Prepares sterile products for administration to patients. Selects proper diluents and vehicles and determines the appropriate stability.
- Prepares cytotoxic agents for administration employing hospital and department aseptic and protective procedures.
- Plans and performs the daily tasks required to provide department services under the direction of a pharmacist.
- Prepares and delivers narcotics and narcotic admixtures. Conducts narcotic perpetual inventories as directed.
- Meets quality and quantity requirements for new orders, unit doses, and IV admixtures.
- Ensures compliance with hazardous waste collection and disposal procedures.
- Spends greater than or equal to 50% of the time manipulating, and/or compounding hazardous medications.
- Responsible for chemotherapy and other high risk compounding, including desensitization compounds.
- Completes hazardous medication training and competencies
- This position assists in maintaining emergency carts, inventory, and controlled substances records. Accurate completion of responsibilities is essential to an efficient, error free drug distribution system.
- High School Diploma
- Illinois Pharmacy Technician License (IDFPR) within first 60 days of hire
- Certified Compounded Sterile Preparation (CSPT) Technician through PTCB within 1 year of hire
- Currently enrolled in Pharmacy school and considered a Student Pharmacist
- Completion of a Technician Training Program
- Previous experience as a Pharmacy Technician
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.