Pre-Service Specialist - Oakbrook Fertility and Reproductive Medicine, Full-time, Days
- Trans Am Plaza Dr, Oak Brook, IL, USA
- Job Shift: Day Job (1st)
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
Oakbrook Fertility and Reproductive Medicine
Schedule: 6:15am-2:45pm Monday - Friday
The Pre-Service Specialist reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines, and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Politely and promptly answers and appropriately triages department telephone calls in an efficient, professional manner.
- Correctly identifies and collects patient demographic information in accordance with hospital standards.
- Schedules appointment in centralized scheduling system, in accordance with AIDET service standards using scripted language for greeting the caller, reviewing the scheduling activity and summarizing the transaction at the end of the call.
- Consistently practices Patients First philosophy and adheres to high standards of customer service. This includes setting an example to peers, coworkers, etc. by fostering a team atmosphere.
- Is proactive in preventing issues with patient visit by double checking type of test, preps required, assuring no conflict with other tests, verifying time and location, communicating relevant information and documenting order retrieval in notes for check-in person.
- Communicates information to the patient regarding questions about physician referrals, insurance referrals and consultations.
- Collects authorization numbers in appropriate systems as applicable.
- Proactively obtains email addresses and help enroll patients in Patient Portal.
- Interacts with various hospital departments and physicians offices to effectively schedule and direct patients through the NMHC systems in a patient/customer friendly manner.
- Utilizes multiple online order retrieval systems to verify or print the patients order.
- Reach out to patients to schedule an appointment as defined.
- When necessary, requests interpreter services for patients visit with Patient Representative Department.
- Utilizes the language line of the hospital to schedule patients who require interpretation service.
- Understands minimum data set required for a complete registration, collects and verifies critical data and updates that information into registration system.
- Understands departmental and individual quality metrics, including abandonment rates, average answerdelay, RONA, AIDET scorecard, quality reviews, and not ready %.
- Performs medical necessity checks as necessary for scheduled services, communicates options to patient if appointment fails.
- Proactively analyzes account activity, identifies problems, and initiates appropriate actions/resolutions.
- Responds to questions and concerns.
- Forwards, directs and notifies Team Lead or Operations Coordinator of extraordinary issues as necessary.
- Evaluates procedures and suggests improvements to enhance customer service and operational efficiency.
- Verifies insurance eligibility and benefit levels through the use of online clearinghouse tools (NDAS, ASF, etc.) or over the phone as necessary.
- Facilitates the pre-authorization of diagnostic exams, between referring physicians and insurance carriers, through the use of online tools, worklists, and direct phone calls as necessary.
- Ensures that outpatient procedures have a valid ICD-9 code, and that for Medicare patients, medical necessity has been met.
- Communicates with physician offices to troubleshoot failing medical necessity for Medicare patients.
- Informs patients of any issues with securing the financial account for their encounter.
- Completes out-of-pocket estimations as requested by patients.
- Provides professional and constructive environment for communication across units/departments and resolves operational issues.
- May attend intra/interdepartmental meetings which involve walking within NM Campus.
- Provides training and education as needed.
- Completes other duties assigned by manager.
- Cross-training between various departments may take place to ensure coverage.
- Communicates customer satisfaction issues to appropriate individuals.
- Participates in departmental quality improvement activities.
- Provides ideas and suggestions for process improvements within the department.
- Monitors registration and scheduling, including insurance verification to ensure processing within prescribed quality standards.
- Adjusts processes as needed to meet standards.
- Participates in Quality Assurance reviews to ensure integrity of patient data information.
- High School Diploma.
- 1-2 years customer service experience.
- Proficient in typing.
- Bachelors degree.
- Healthcare Finance and/or Healthcare Insurance knowledge.
- Experience in a healthcare setting, especially patient scheduling and/or registration.
- Coding Certification.
- Certified Healthcare Associate Designation (NAHAM).
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.