Thrift Store Associate - Part Time, Weekends Required
- The Shelter Shop, 2700 W. Walnut Street, Rogers, AR, United States
The mission of Northwest Arkansas Children’s Shelter is to provide a safe haven, high-quality care and hope for the future to children who have been abandoned, abused or neglected.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Since opening in 1993, the Northwest Arkansas Children’s Shelter (NWACS) has cared for nearly 11,000 children in crisis from throughout the state of Arkansas. Our capacity of 48 beds, state-of-the-art complex, on-site school and on-site counseling services make us unique among children’s emergency shelters in Arkansas and our region. The combination of these features creates a stable, secure and loving environment where children who have experienced abuse, abandonment or neglect can begin to heal.
Compassion: Recognize and meet the needs of children with respect, sensitivity and unconditional love;
Excellence: Set the standard for high-quality service to children by performing above the expected;
Integrity: Strive with our words and actions to be worth of the trust placed in us.
The Shelter Shop is a new thrift store in Rogers to benefit the children at the Northwest Arkansas Children Shelter. The Thrift Store Associate is responsible for processing donated items, rotating merchandise and providing customer service to visitors. The Thrift Store Associate will manage volunteers, help with inventory control and promote the mission of NWACS in the store and in the community. The Thrift Store Associate reports to the Thrift Store Manager.
1. Living the Children’s Shelter Mission and Values
- Exhibits high ethical standards and is a caring person of character.
- Collaborates and communicates with all staff and volunteers to remain consistent in policies and procedures regarding item and volunteer solicitation.
- Adheres to all NWACS policies and procedures.
- Maintains current knowledge of NWACS policies and procedures as they relate to personnel.
- Provide service to internal and external customers according to standards and ensures staff and volunteers follow same standards.
- Promote excellence in the customer service experience for all visitors to the thrift store through staff training.
- Ensure the Children’s Shelter mission and values drive staff and volunteer decisions.
2. Operations & Merchandising
- Comply with written procedures for store operations, including opening and closing the store; procedures for accepting, sorting, pricing donations; security procedures for staff and volunteers, handling of cash, and other relevant procedures as needed.
- Process donated items and rotate merchandise in compliance with procedures.
- Provides leadership to volunteers.
- Learn to us technology and keep up with technology changes.
3. Marketing & Promotion
- Provide recommendations to retain customers and increase sales.
- Display merchandise inside the store to enhance the appearance and appeal of the store.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Experience overseeing volunteers a plus.
- Reliable and trustworthy; sound decision-making skills.
- Strong verbal, writing and organizational skills.
- Able to communicate in Spanish preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to serve people in a professional, welcoming and efficient manner.
- Valid Arkansas driver’s license and legally required insurance.
- Cooperative, friendly, and helpful attitude with clients and co-workers. Ability to work closely with other employees to ensure positive, constructive environment within the program or department, and throughout the shelter.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced and start-up environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with availability to work alternate Saturdays and some evenings as needed.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
Working Conditions and Environment/Physical Demands
The demands described are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- Requires ability to stay on your feet up to 3-8 hours per day with frequent lifting, walking, standing, bending, squatting, pulling and pushing.
- Occasionally may be required to lift items up to 50 pounds to a height up to 6 feet.
- Occasionally may be required to carry items up to 50 pounds for distances up to 25 feet.
- Must pass all criminal history and child maltreatment background checks.
- Must submit to pre-employment drug screen as well as random drug screens when directed.
- Valid driver's license, proof of personal automobile insurance, and acceptable driving record required to drive shelter vehicle for shelter business.
- Attend and participate in mandatory trainings, staff meetings, and all other events, as required.
- Set, maintain and communicate appropriate personal and professional boundaries.
- Complete all required documentation in a timely manner per NWACS procedures.
This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs. Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer.