- 860 NW Vaughn Rd, Bentonville, AR 72713, USA
The mission of Northwest Arkansas Children’s Shelter is to provide a safe haven, high-quality care and hope for the future to children who have been abandoned, abused or neglected.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Since opening in 1993, the Northwest Arkansas Children’s Shelter has cared for more than 10,000 children in crisis from throughout the state of Arkansas. Our capacity of 36 beds, state-of-the-art complex, on-site school and on-site counseling services make us unique among children’s emergency shelters in Arkansas and our region. The combination of these features creates a stable, secure and loving environment where children who have experienced abuse, abandonment or neglect can begin to heal.
Compassion: Recognize and meet the needs of children with respect, sensitivity and unconditional love;
Excellence: Set the standard for high-quality service to children by performing above the expected;
Integrity: Strive with our words and actions to be worth of the trust placed in us.
The Northwest Arkansas Children’s Shelter seeks an individual to serve as Cook to play a key role in preparing and serving nutritious meals and snacks to the residents of the organization in a clean and sanitary environment while embracing and upholding our mission and values.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare nutritious, well balanced and sufficient meals in a timely fashion and according to the posted menu.
- Follow all posted instructions to ensure each resident’s special needs are met (special diet, food allergies, etc.).
- Take the necessary steps so that all food is prepared, served and stored under sanitary conditions.
- Operate kitchen equipment as assigned and report any malfunctioning equipment or unsafe conditions in the kitchen.
- Maintain a posted grocery list of items to be purchased and assist with picking up food donations, commodities, etc. as needed;
- Sort, organize and put away deliveries and food donations and maintain inventory for delivered and donated foods
- Keep the kitchen and dining room cabinets and counter tops clean and floors swept and mopped.
- Empty the kitchen and dining room trash daily or more often as needed.
- Keep refrigerators, freezers, ovens, griddle, fryers, cabinets, pantries and storage areas clean, sanitary and organized and see that preventative maintenance is provided as needed for kitchen equipment in the warehouse and in the kitchen
- Work with the Facility Manager and Food Services Manager to maintain a regular rotation of food items, stock in cabinets, refrigerators and freezers.
- Adhere to all shelter policies and procedures.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy regarding all resident information in accordance with NWACS policy and all applicable Federal and state laws/regulations.
- Execute work tasks in a way that conforms to and supports the mission, vision, and values of NWACS as well as professional and ethical standards.
- Establish effective professional relationships with peers, support staff, volunteers, supervisors, and other professionals.
- Attend and participate in mandatory trainings, staff meetings, and all other events, as required.
- Set, maintain, and communicate appropriate personal and professional boundaries.
- Complete all required documentation in a timely manner per agency procedures.
- Recognize own strengths/limitations and seeks assistance from supervisors and case managers when needed.
- Twenty-one years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prefer commercial kitchen experience or training in the food service industry.
- Prefer knowledgeable and experience with the NSLP reporting and procedures.
- Must pass all criminal history and child maltreatment background checks.
- Must submit to pre-employment drug screen as well as random drug screens when directed.
- Valid driver's license, proof of personal automobile insurance, and acceptable driving record required to drive shelter vehicle and/or for shelter business.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Flexibility, reliability, patience, and self-motivation.
- Ability to thrive in a continually changing environment.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism, interpersonal skills and strong written and oral communication skills.
- Basic proficiency in use of computers and software.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule based on the needs of the shelter.
- Potential for unpredictable resident behavior.
- Tasks may involve walking, standing, climbing, bending, kneeling, crouching and lifting for long periods of time, both indoors and outdoors.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Potential exposure to communicable disease/contagions.
We currently have two openings. One for first shift and one for second shift.
This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Qualified candidates must submit a detailed resume and cover letter.