Unix/Linux Infrastructure Engineer
- Hartlepool, UK
Here at NPS we have a simple set of values that sets out who we are as a company. We are:
Intelligent – we make the right choices
Involved – our enthusiasm creates energy
Innovative – we always ask what’s next
Our business is all about making lives safer, healthier, better managed and mobile
Our software underpins critical police, health, housing and local government services, ensuring delivery of the right data at the right time to protect and improve people’s lives.
We’re as committed to the positive social outcomes of our customers’ services as they are, which means we put people first. In the interfaces and systems we design, and the software support and development service we provide.
Across the world, billions of people every day rely on the services and benefits provided by their police, health services, housing and local government. Their home, welfare, wellbeing and security often depend on them.
We create and manage the software that connects people with these services. We design smart interfaces and data processes to ensure services are easy to use, always on, relevant, accurate and trusted.
Using internet, mobile and AI technology, we are designing new tools that maximise the positive experience people have of critical services, and helping to make sure they are safer, healthier, better managed, and able to organise their life on the go.
Working closely with our customers – the service providers – we define people’s needs today and in the future – and work intelligently to continuously improve our software products and data management.
Our software underpins the performance of our customers as they serve their customers. Our constant focus is making sure our software is stable, efficient, cost efficient and secure.
We’re proud of the role we play, improving people’s lives through dependable critical services. With a growing number of customers globally, we’re going to make a difference to millions of people more.
Based in the UK but working around the world, our 2,000 employees help improve the services that matter most.
We are now part of the NEC corporation, a leader in the integration of IT and network technologies that benefit businesses and people worldwide – this brings in new opportunities without limits for growth and innovation.
Northgate Public Services is seeking a skilled, rational thinker and a motivated individual to join the Unix/Linux Infrastructure Engineer team. We are seeking a candidate with strong Linux distribution and Unix systems- working with the wider team, you will take on the responsibility for daily maintenance of the Unix/Linux infrastructure within NPS. The role will be ITIL driven and you will take part in proactive maintenance, security updates, dealing with incidents and service requests, project and change work. Your knowledge will cover a broad range of Linux systems from Red Hat based operating systems to Ubuntu as well as Solaris, and will think of new and agile ways of working and implementing. For this role you will undergo SC and NPPV security checking.
- Assist with the delivery of a 24x7 infrastructure in line with agreed SLA’s
- Provide incident, service request and major incident support across the Linux and Unix server estate
- Help remove the day to day tasks and improve team efficiency through automation and tooling
- Ensure all systems are maintained to a high security level which includes vulnerability mitigation, OS patching, system hardening and configuration management
- Take ownership of infrastructure projects from initial implementation to transition
- Maintain high standard of documentation and process management
- Perform pre-agreed out of hours work
- Be part of the on call rota
Personal and Technical Skills
- Vast experience across CentOS, Red Hat, Oracle Linux, Ubuntu and Solaris
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible or Puppet etc
- Scripting skills such as Bash
- Knowledge of storage/SAN technologies
- Basic knowledge of Network infrastructure, DNS, Switches, Firewalls, Load Balancers etc
- Proactive and self-managing, with the ability to work as part of a team and individually
- A passion for technology, keeping up to date with the latest technology trends
- Experience with VMWare
- Experience with Hyper-V
- Vast experience across Oracle products such as SPARC, Enterprise Controller and Oracle VM Manager
- Experience with Apache, MySQL, Tomcat, Reverse Proxies, Forward Proxies, Mail Relay, Docker
- Knowledge of AWS/Azure
- Worked in a ITIL environment
- Problem-solving skill
Employees of Northgate Public Services are entitled to the following Company funded benefits:
- Single Private Medical Cover (with the option to select family cover at an additional cost)
- 25 days paid holiday (includes 3 company nominated days) with the option to buy/sell up to 5 days
- 4 x basic salary life assurance cover
- A Group Pension Plan with fantastic employer contributions
- A selection of tax efficient flexible benefits to suit your individual needs
- The role offers a competitive salary.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate a pre-existing right to work and travel within the EU. Documentary evidence will be required.
All offers are subject to satisfactory vetting and reference checks. Depending on the nature of the role a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check may also be required.
Northgate Public Services is an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all communities.