Photo Desk Editor
- Denison St, North Sydney NSW 2060, Australia
- Work Arrangement: Permanent
Life at Nine.
Nine’s strategy is to create great content, distribute it broadly and engage audiences and advertisers.
We are Australia’s largest locally owned media company – the home of Australia’s most trusted and loved brands spanning News, Sport, Lifestyle, and Entertainment.
Nine’s assets include the Nine Network, major mastheads such as The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Australian Financial Review, Nine Radio, digital properties such as nine.com.au, 9Now, 9Honey, Pedestrian.TV, subscription video platform Stan and majority investments in Domain Group and Drive.
Your new opportunity at Nine.
The Australian Financial Review is seeking a Picture Desk Editor who can manage the masthead’s photographic resources to ensure that use of photographic images is optimised for digital and print. They will oversee the Financial Review’s pool of staff photographers and freelancers.
The successful candidate will be experienced in dealing with digital images including resizing, cleaning, captioning and uploading images and undertaking picture research.
Day to day you will:
- Source news pictures, selecting the best available throughout the day for digital and later for print
- Coordinating photography assignments and allocating projects to photographers
- Briefing photographers to ensure jobs meet the required AFR photographic style
- Tracking assignments progress to ensure all jobs remain on schedule
- Choose images that complement stories for newspaper articles
- Editing and positioning photos in line with organisational guidelines and specifications
- Liaise with section editors to source photos, ensuring the best options are available and used to maximum potential eg. Features, Review, Perspective, Weekend and Life&Leisure
Please note this role involves weekend work
Enough about us, let's talk about you
In order to be successful for this role, you will ideally have:
- Advanced photoshop skills (editing photos, create photographic illustrations, create bromides)
- Strong understanding and demonstrated experience in photo editing software tools
- Creativity and artistic mindset, with an interest in AFR newspaper journalism
- Excellent communication skills for liaising with reporters, editors, graphic designers and photographers
- Experience in working to deadlines and in a pressured environment
What you'll get in return at Nine.
- Career development and quality training
- Up to 16 weeks paid primary carer’s parental leave
- Discounts on lifestyle, entertainment, and leisure memberships, including health insurance, dental and gym
- Access to Future Women – a movement to help women connect, learn and lead through unique content and events.
- Discounts on products and services with corporate partners including Samsung, Apple, JB HI-FI, HP, Hertz Car Hire and TFE Hotels
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion.
At Nine, we are committed to fostering a workforce that embraces all aspects of diversity and inclusion and where practices are equitable to ensure our people experience a sense of belonging. From day one, you'll be encouraged to bring your whole self to work and will be supported to perform at your best. Should you require any adjustments to the recruitment process in order to equitably participate, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, and of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds and cultures.
Disclaimer: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes