Director, Distance Learning
- Ogden, UT
Nightingale College is contributing to the future of health care by preparing students for practice by combining current technology and core educational principles. The institution is nationally accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). Nightingale College specializes only in nursing education. Its current CEO, Mikhail Shneyder, is also a registered nurse and is dedicated to making a positive impact on healthcare in Utah and its communities.
Nightingale College’s staff and faculty are dedicated to preparing future nurses who will elevate the quality of health care in the communities they serve. Staff and faculty are committed to connecting with each student on a personal level to facilitate learning.
- Director, Distance Learning is responsible for the development and implementation of distance education policies and distance learning portions of academic programs. The incumbent is responsible for distance education instructional design and technology, distance education faculty development, the continuous elevation of online teaching and learning, and the administrative oversight of the College’s general education offerings. The incumbent participates in and contributes to programs review and improvement, institutional and programmatic accreditation and self-evaluation activities, assessment of learning outcomes and advancement of learner success, budget development, and program and curriculum development. The incumbent provides support and mentoring to the Distance Education Managers and other academic leaders. Director, Distance Learning is a member of the College’s leadership and is responsible for understanding and implementing sound business and leadership principles. The incumbent is accountable for promoting and supporting an environment conducive to innovation, positive thinking, and growth, in alignment with the College’s vision, mission, values, guiding principles and other institutional frameworks.
Director, Distance Learning is responsible for the following:
- General administrative leadership and oversight of the following College functions:
- Distance Education Instructional Design and Technology
- Distance Education Faculty Development
- General Education
- Oversee the development, maintenance, and evaluation of the distance education portions of the academic programs;
- Assure that distance education portions of the academic programs curricula are grounded in the latest online instructional design and delivery evidence;
- Oversee and direct all matters pertaining to the distance education design, delivery, and learner support;
- Promote innovation in all areas of responsibility;
- Collaborate with Distance Education Managers and faculty to assess and address needs of faculty for development, instructional support, and scholarship;
- Plan, implement, and oversee distance education faculty development activities based on evidence and contemporary strategies in education;
- Participate and contribute to periodic academic program reviews and work with function leaders in the review, evaluation, and development of distance education portions of the curricula and in the improvement of instruction;
- Contribute to leadership for developing and maintaining educational programs of exceptional quality;
- Collaborate with function leaders, program managers, faculty, and others to foster a climate of academic excellence, collaboration, and interdisciplinary initiatives;
- Collaborate with discipline-specific program managers, curriculum managers, faculty, and staff to evaluate instruction;
- Participate and contribute to institutional and programmatic specialty accreditation efforts;
- Provide support for and promote evidence-based and best practices for the effective use of technology to facilitate learning in all settings (classroom, distance education, blended instruction, etc.);
- Collaborate with function leaders and faculty to ensure learner outcomes success;
- Participate and contribute to the development and promotion of policies and programs that support academic and professional development of learners;
- Design, develop, and facilitate the implementation of a system-wide approach to distance education faculty orientation, training and ongoing development;
- Participate in the College’s Strategic, Tactical, and Institutional Effectiveness planning;
- Develop, implement, and oversee budgets for the Distance Learning functions;
- Create and maintain strong academic partnerships for learners’ academic progression;
- Elevate the visibility and image of the College in the community.
- Minimum master degree in distance education instructional design and delivery, or a closely related field required; earned doctorate degree in distance education preferred;
- Five years of full-time experience developing distance education at the college level required;
- Leadership experience in education required;
- Institutional or programmatic accreditation experience required;
- Significant experience in development and administration of curricula, budgets, instructional design and delivery, and instructional technology in higher education preferred;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required;
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, and management skills required;
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy required;
- Ability to utilize and effectively communicate data for effective decision making required;
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks as well as the ability to work well independently and within a team, on multiple projects, within a fast-paced environment required;
- Knowledge of program review and the evaluation of policies and practices in applied settings as well as knowledge of computer-based statistical software programs and the interpretation of findings required.
The position is currently based at the College’s Operations Support Center (OSC) in Ogden, Utah. The Operation Center will be relocating to Salt Lake City, UT late fall 2017. The job may also be performed at times via telecommuting. The work is performed in two primary modes – at the OSC or remote location at a desk, using a computer, a telephone, and other means for work productivity and communication.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by the collaborator with this job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the collaborator assigned to this position.