NUFYP EAP Head of Discipline
- Job Type: Faculty
Nazarbayev University is an English-speaking, research-based University located in Astana, Kazakhstan. The Center for Preparatory Studies (CPS) of Nazarbayev University operates a foundation (NUFYP) and pre-graduate preparatory programs.
CPS is currently seeking an EAP Head of Discipline (HOD) for its NUFYP program.
NUFYP prepares students in academic English, mathematics, and leadership principles to prepare them for study at Nazarbayev University. NUFYP achieved BALEAP accreditation in 2020, becoming the first program in Central Asia and only the second outside of the UK to do so. NUFYP admits between 550 and 600 students annually; the minimum English language entry-level is an overall IELTS of 6.0. Students compete for state scholarships via the NU Entrance Test created and administered in partnership with Cambridge Admission Assessment Testing (CAAT).
The HOD manages the day-to-day operations supervising 40 EAP Teaching Fellows and four Senior Teaching Fellows and is responsible for the delivery (including timetabling), evaluation, and assessment of the curricula—primary duty is ensuring the learning outcomes of the courses and the program are achieved. The HOD is a member of CPS’s management team and is involved in the decision-making process of CPS and also may participate in university committees.
- Leading a highly experienced group of EAP teaching fellows and supervising senior teaching fellows
- Organizing and conducting teacher observations and providing feedback
- Conducting the faculty’s annual appraisal process
- Performing the annual EAP course monitoring review
- Overseeing the alignment of the curriculum and guiding the re-accreditation process
- Supervising and improving teaching materials and methods
- Evaluating and acting on comments from students, teachers, and administrators
- Timetabling teachers’ duties and students’ classes
- Conducting team meetings
The successful candidate will have the qualifications, experience, knowledge, talents and skills required to effectively lead a large foundation program in Kazakhstan—academic leadership, successful teambuilding, effective planning, and attention to details are essential. Note this is not a research position nor is conducting research a requirement although encouraged.
Essential Qualifications Include:
- Completed Master’s degree in an appropriate discipline (e.g., EAP, TESOL, Education, Rhetoric); a PhD is preferred
- Excellent communicator in both oral and written English
- Exemplary personal character traits—integrity, strong work ethic, astute problem-solving abilities
- Evidence of solid administrative and organizational abilities with keen attention to details
- Ability to lead in a multicultural, educational environment—displaying excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to handle ambiguity while guiding an academic unit
- An effective team builder with the ability to mentor others and lead by example
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience developing online classes, good technology skills
- Extensive experience teaching/leading in an international foundation program
- Curriculum development and assessment experience
- Experience in interdisciplinary education
- Knowledge of accrediting processes (e.g., BALEAP or CEA)
- Awareness of students’ academic and affective needs
Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package including:
- Internationally competitive salary
- 56 days paid leave per year
- Rent-free housing based on family size and rank
- Relocation allowance
- Air tickets twice a year to home country
- No-cost medical insurance with global coverage
- Educational allowance for children
To Apply click the link and upload (in PDF if possible):
1. Curriculum Vitae: max 4 pages (normal font and spacing) and include (in the 4 pages) Contact Information for at least two referees and the contact information of your current/most recent supervisor. Note: referees/employer will not be contacted unless you are shortlisted and give permission.
2. Cover Letter (max 1 page).
3. CPS Application Information: In a third document: (1) briefly state your primary reason(s) for applying for the position (<200 words), (2) outline the qualities, talents, and/or characteristics you would bring to CPS (brief paragraph or bullet points), and (3) write a sentence of 50 words or less that describes your leadership philosophy.
Do not upload any other materials to your application at this time. Selected candidates will be asked to complete a questionnaire to be used in the shortlisting process.
Review of applications will begin immediately; initial interviews are expected to begin in late March; the position starts July/August 2023.
Questions regarding the position can be addressed to the CPS General Director through Smart Recruiter. Additional information can be found at the official website of Nazarbayev University www.nu.edu.kz.
Nazarbayev University is an EOE.