Postdoctoral Scholar (Geoscience), School of Mining and Geosciences
- Qabanbay Batyr Ave 53, Nur-Sultan 020000, Kazakhstan
- Job Type: Faculty
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• To transfer knowledge including practical skills, methods and techniques.
• To encourage the development of innovative approaches to course design and delivery and ensure that teaching design and delivery comply with the quality and educational standards and regulations of the department.
• To challenge thinking, foster debate and develop the ability of students to engage in critical discourse and rational thinking.
• To set, mark and assess work and examinations and provide feedback to students.
• To ensure that the teaching content and methods of delivery are in accordance with equal opportunities, and respond to issues relating to staff and student needs.
• To conduct research activity and prepare research proposals under the supervision of a senior faculty member.
• To participate in research and collaborative activities with other educational or research institutions.
• To write or contribute to scientific publications or disseminate research findings using other appropriate media.
• To make presentations at national and international conferences and similar events.
• To act as a referee and contribute to peer assessment.
• To update knowledge and understanding in field.
• To disseminate conceptual and complex ideas to a wide variety of audiences using appropriate media and methods to promote understanding.
• Contribute to the preparation of proposals and applications to external bodies, e.g. for funding and accreditation purposes under the supervision of a senior faculty member.
Areas of Service and Related Responsibility
Postdoctoral scholar service responsibility will be partitioned in to three general areas which include service to the department (search, curriculum, library and other committee work, student recruiting, etc.), service to the School (committee work, policy work, strategic planning, advisory councils etc.) , and service to the University (Faculty senate, International collaboration, Research ethics committee, grievance committees, etc.) . These three service categories can be assessed and developed with the unit supervisor individually or may be folded into and assessed as part of the categories which follow as might be appropriate.
People management and team building
• To promote and market the work of the department in the subject area both nationally and internationally.
• To promote a collegiate approach and develop team spirit and team coherence.
• To foster inter-disciplinary team work.
• To be responsible for dealing with referred issues for students within the academic programs.
• To act as referral source, giving first line support.
• To provide first line support for colleagues, referring them to sources of further help if required.
• To balance the competing pressures of teaching, scholarship, research, knowledge transfer, administrative demands and deadlines.
• To take overall responsibility for health and safety in own areas of responsibility.
• To ensure that appropriate risk management processes are operational.
• To understand and apply the principles of equality of opportunity in an academic context.
• To undertake other such duties as may be reasonably expected.
• To provide a healthy and comfortable working environment.
The successful candidate must have an earned PhD degree
Excellent communication skills and English fluency are required.
The appointment is a 1-year renewable contract subject to annual performance reviews.
Application packages should consist of a cover letter and CV in English.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.