Instructor and Assistant Professor position, Department of Mathematics, School of Sciences and Humanities
- Qabanbay Batyr Ave 53, Nur-Sultan 020000, Kazakhstan
- Department: Mathematics Department
The Department of Mathematics at Nazarbayev University currently has 23 members. Faculty specializations include statistics, numerical analysis, applied mathematics, analysis, and algebra/number theory. We currently offer an undergraduate program in mathematics as well as graduate programs in pure and applied mathematics at the masters and doctorate level.
Nazarbayev University was launched in 2010 as a premier national and regional university, partnering with some of the most internationally recognized names in Higher Education. The strategic partner of SSH is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Admission to NU is highly competitive, and the student body is selected from the top high schools throughout the country and region. Most students participate in a foundation year program, and thus enter SSH with extensive English language training and academic preparation. All classes are taught in English.
The Department of Mathematics in the School of Sciences and Humanities at Nazarbayev University invites applications for several positions in applied mathematics at the rank of Instructor or Assistant Professor. Appointments are for three years with the possibility of renewal.
Responsibilities of these positions
• Teach undergraduate courses in mathematics;
• Advise students in academic matters;
• Administrative and service work at the departmental, school, and university level;
• Faculty appointed at the Assistant Professor level will also be expected to teach graduate courses in mathematics, supervise undergraduate and graduate student research and capstone projects, apply for grants, and develop new courses.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, research and teaching statements, and contact information for at least three references, who will be asked to submit letters of recommendation. At least one of the letters of recommendation should address the candidate's teaching. Questions related to the position, the university, or living and working in Nur-Sultan should be directed to Daniel Oliveira da Silva at [email protected]
For Instructor position:
masters degree in applied mathematics, statistics, or a related area.
For Assistant Professor:
• PhD in applied mathematics, statistics or a related area;
• Teaching experience at the university level;
• An active research agenda with recent publications in peer-reviewed journals;
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills;
• An appreciation for flexibility in a developing context;
• An interest in continuing professional development.
Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package, including:
• highly competitive compensation;
• housing based on family size and rank;
• relocation allowance;
• air tickets to home country, twice per year;
• no-cost medical insurance, with global coverage;
• educational allowance for children.
Review of applications will begin on March 15 and will continue until positions are filled. Incomplete applications and applications submitted by email will not be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.