Research technologist (chemistry)
- 53 Qabanbay Batyr Ave, Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Job Type: Administrative staff
Main functional duties of the Department:
- Creation and development of Core Facilities;
- Development and implementation of the Nazarbayev University (hereinafter – University) scientific infrastructure of development strategy.
- Conduction of analyses for University and external organizations by trained staff and training of potential users;
- Control and regulation of equipment use.
- Performing analysis on ion chromatography, gas chromatography, high-performance liquid chromatography and inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectroscope;
- Performing sample preparation, solid-phase, and liquid-phase extraction;
- Preparation of solutions of acids, alkalis, indicators, buffer solutions for analyzes;
- Working knowledge of safety protocols in analytical chemistry laboratories;
- Providing technical assistance on the equipment and technological processes for researchers, students and third party organizations;
- Performing corrective and preventive maintenance on the facility equipment. This involves all necessary documentation and data collection associated with performing equipment calibrations and establishment of process flow;
- Carrying out diagnostics and repair on the equipment when breakdowns occur with the assistance of other qualified specialists;
- Coordinating actions in emergency situations involving the safety of people and equipment;
- Preparing technical documents related to equipment used such as technical manuals, standard operating procedures, safety protocols, etc .;
- Analyzing the need for laboratory equipment, consumables, and reagents, based on expenditures.
- Higher education;
- The lowest required academic degree is a Bachelor's degree in Chemistry and related majors
- Work experience in the research / academic / testing laboratory at least 1 year. Work experience on analytical equipment at least 1 year;
- Experience in ion and liquid chromatography, theoretical knowledge of chromatography, selection of columns and phases;
- Practical knowledge of solid-phase and liquid-phase extraction;
- Knowledge of the basics of the chemistry of solutions;
- Knowledge of basic methods of sample preparation in analytical chemistry;
- Experience with titrators and understanding the basics of titration;
- Experience with approved standards and methods of chemical analysis;
- Experience in analytical methods from scratch (will be an advantage when choosing a candidate).
- Professional competence and personal qualities
- Willingness and ability to learn new information and updates related to the equipment functioning;
- Ability to understand and interpret technical documents, e.g. results of analyzes;
- Be familiar with the consumables and equipment procurement procedures, with making contracts, or other agreements;
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines;
- Knowledge of the fundamental safety regulations while working on laboratory equipment;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively autonomously and in a team environment;
- Demonstrated communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in Kazakh, Russian. Proficiency in English is encouraged.
Recruitment and selection process
Recruitment and selection at Nazarbayev University include the following process: preliminary selection based on experience and qualifications, assessments (e.g. technical skills/capabilities, aptitude, personality, work samples, in-basket exercises, and informal interviews), and motivation.
Formal interviews form the final stage of the selection process.
They are typically based on organizational values and behaviors and conducted in English.
You are encouraged to share your views and values to identify how they fit into Nazarbayev University core values