Writing and Communication Instructors: STEM
- Qabanbay Batyr Ave 53, Nur-Sultan 020000, Kazakhstan
- Job Type: Faculty
- School: School of Sciences and Humanities
The School of Sciences and Humanities (SSH) at Nazarbayev University invites applications for Instructors of Writing and Communication to join our faculty in the Writing Center Program in August 2021.
The Writing Center Program teaches writing and communication courses in undergraduate and graduate programs and supports a robust culture of writing across the university. Due to expansion, we are looking for talented educators who want to work with motivated students and contribute to our developing programs. Successful candidates will be expected to teach our first-year undergraduate Rhetoric and Composition course, as well as discipline- or division-specific writing and communication courses at intermediate and advanced levels. Instructors also serve as tutors in the Writing Center, and may be involved in supporting students and faculty across the university through our Writing Across the Curriculum and Writing Fellows initiatives.
We are currently recruiting instructors to teach writing for STEM disciplines.
Instructors teach the equivalent of a 4/4 course load.
Successful candidates will have:
• a master’s degree or higher in Rhetoric and Composition, Science Writing, Professional/Technical Writing, Science Communication, or related field, OR a master’s degree in an unrelated field complemented by significant experience teaching science writing
• 3+ years experience teaching writing for STEM disciplines at the tertiary level
• experience teaching freshmen composition or public speaking
• excellent communication skills
• a commitment to collaboration
• a demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development
Preference will be given to applicants with any two of the following:
• experience supporting graduate student writers
• experience tutoring in a Writing Center or teaching undergraduate communication courses
• demonstrated contributions to Writing Across the Curriculum and/or Writing Fellows programs
• experience working in international settings
This is a three-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
Applicants should submit:
• a cover letter showing how the applicant’s experience and expertise fit the criteria listed above
• a curriculum vitae with the names of three referees, including one from a recent supervisor and one from someone who can address the applicant's teaching abilities
• a teaching philosophy demonstrating reflective practice
Applications deadline: March 30, 2021
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Nazarbayev University was launched in 2010 as a premier national and regional university, partnering with some of the most internationally recognized names in higher education. The strategic partner of SSH is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Admission to NU is highly competitive, and the student body is selected from the top high schools throughout the country and region. All classes are taught in English.
Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package, including:
• competitive compensation
• housing based on family size and rank
• relocation allowance
• air tickets to home country, twice per year
• no-cost medical insurance, with global coverage
• educational allowance for children
Additional information can be found at the official website of Nazarbayev University www.nu.edu.kz.
Questions regarding the program or the position can be addressed to the program director, Karie Pieczynski, at [email protected]