Manager for Research Administration (maternity leave cover)
- Qabanbay Batyr Ave 53, Nur-Sultan 020000, Kazakhstan
Graduate School of Education
The Research Administrator (RA) will oversee management of all grants and contracts within the GSE. RA will report to the Vice Dean for Research and will also work closely with the School Executive leadership, Research Chairs and research teams to oversee efficient operations of administrative research processes, thus contributing to the achievement the School’s research goals.
The largest area of responsibility is the pre-and post-award management of contracts and grants. Research Administrator will inform faculty and research staff on standard operating procedures and school or university policies and processes, to ensure that these policies are applied. The incumbent will oversee research awards and/or transactions related to contract and grant management and maintain contract and grant records in compliance with institutional research sponsor policies. He/she will also liaise with the school finance department on budgeting process. This position is expected to provide high-level customer service with administering contracts and grant administration processes to include identifying potential sources of funding for research.
Research Administrator will lead regular funding meetings and make sure reimbursements for research faculty and staff and generating reports for the Vice Dean for Research/Dean. He/she will contribute to the development of marketing materials related to the research mission of the School for print or the web.
- Identify opportunities for external grants;
- maintain relationships with external donors for this purpose;
- help connect faculty with potentially relevant funding opportunities;
- provide pre-award support for responding to financial and logistical questions of grant applications;
- provide post-award support for distributing funding, budgeting, and financial reporting associated with faculty-earned research grants (Kazakhstani and external);
- сoordinate financing and reporting of conference and research trip travel (include the travel grant for students);
- should not assume any additional accounting or Finance responsibilities unless they are directly related to research.
- collaborate with the Dean, VDR, Research Chairs, Research Institute, Research Committee, and individual faculty and staff to develop a culture of institutional support for grant application, grant management, and grant-based research.
- For a master’s degree, at least 1 year work experience in areas corresponding to the functional areas of a particular position;
- With a bachelor’s or specialist’s degree, work experience in the specialty is at least 3 years in the areas corresponding to the functional areas of a particular position in international and / or national companies, or at least 2 years of work experience at Nazarbayev University
- or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained.
- Master s or PhD in a related field is strongly preferred, as is previous experience in scientific research/ research management.
- Must have a demonstrated thorough understanding of and experience with the entire contract and grant life cycles (acquisition planning, pre-award and post-award).
- Experience in researching, interpreting and resolving funding, contract and grant issues.
- Experience in institutional or academic research and publications - literature reviews, data retrieval/analysis, maintaining records, and gathering and processing information about projects.
- A clear understanding of project management
- This position requires people skills and leadership.
- Able to work with people with a wide range of diversity of background, skill level, culture, and language.
- The ability to work in a team to accomplish of organizational goals
- Excellent oral, written, communication in English, Russian & Kazakh as well as analytical skills.
- Familiar with research funding available in a range of sectors in Kazakhstan and more widely with Central Asia