Assistant Professor (Ottoman Studies) at the Department of Kazakh Language and Turkology, School of Sciences and Humanities
- Qabanbay Batyr Ave, Nur-Sultan 020000, Kazakhstan
Nazarbayev University was launched in 2010 as a premier national and regional university, partnering with some of the most recognized names in international higher education. Admission to NU is highly competitive; the student body is selected from the top high schools throughout the country and region.
The NU campus is located in Nur-Sultan, the capital of Kazakhstan, in the heart of the new and ultra-modern Left-Bank region of the city. Incoming faculty will enjoy a cosmopolitan living experience, interwoven with traditional cultural influences in food and entertainment. The social life offers a rich and vibrant atmosphere with excellent clubs and restaurants, theater, music, opera, dancing, museums, modern and traditional bazaar shopping, professional and amateur sports, outdoor recreation, and much more.
The Department of Kazakh Language and Turkology at Nazarbayev University invites applications for a position of Assistant Professor in Ottoman Studies, to begin in August 2020. We are particularly interested in a historian of the Ottoman Empire who can teach the Ottoman Empire with reference to other Central Eurasian empires and states; who can teach courses in Ottoman documents (as needed); offer courses in Middle Eastern and Central Eurasian history (which may be shared with or offered through the Department of History, Philosophy, and Religious Studies); and contribute to the program in Turkology (as needed). Teaching regularly in the History of the Kazakhstan course is a requirement for this position. An interest in other Turkic languages (including Kazakh and/or other Turkic languages), as well as a working knowledge of Russian, are a plus.
Responsibilities include a 2/2 teaching load, research, and departmental and School service. The University offers opportunities for research support. This is a three-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will have:
- a Ph.D. from an international university in a discipline related to Ottoman Turkish Studies (including but not limited to History, Language and Literature, Social Sciences, etc.);
- a record appropriate for appointment at the level of assistant professor;
- a promising research agenda informed by disciplinary frameworks and interdisciplinary scholarship;
- superior-level modern Turkish on the ACTFL scale;
- ability to teach courses at all levels in Ottoman Turkish history, philology, literature, and culture with an emphasis on international theories, plus other fields in Ottoman Turkish;
- and 5+ years experience teaching Ottoman and Turkish Studies at a world-class English-language university.
Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package, including:
- competitive compensation;
- free housing (based on rank and family size);
- relocation allowance;
- international health insurance for the faculty and dependents living in Nur-Sultan;
- educational allowance for dependent children relocated to Nur-Sultan;
- home leave allowance (air tickets to the home country, twice per year);
- research start-up funds are available.
Applicants should send a cover letter, CV, teaching and research statements, names and contact information of three referees, and at least one sample of written work. Complete applications must be received by 30th November 2019. It is the responsibility of the applicants to make sure that their applications are complete. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For inquiries regarding this position, please contact Dr. Uli Schamioglu at [email protected]
For inquiries regarding the recruitment process, please, contact our HR team at [email protected]
- Nazarbayev University - http://nu.edu.kz/
- School of Science and Humanities - http://ssh.nu.edu.kz/