Teaching Fellow in Mathematics
- Qabanbay Batyr Ave 53, Nur-Sultan 020000, Kazakhstan
Nazarbayev University’s Center for Preparatory Studies (CPS) in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, is currently seeking a qualified Mathematics Teaching Fellow to begin before or no later than January 2020.
The Center for Preparatory Studies has two academic programs: a foundation year program (NUFYP) and a pre-masters preparatory program. NUFYP emphasizes academic English, mathematics, and study skills to prepare students for study in Nazarbayev University’s undergraduate schools. The minimum English entry level is a comprehensive IELTS of 6.0, and all CPS classes are taught in English. CPS also offers a one-year, pre-master’s curriculum that enhances students’ English skills and prepares them for study and research in NU master’s degree programs.
As a CPS Mathematics Teaching Fellow (within NUFYP), you would have 16-18 contact hours per week (e.g., lectures, seminars, office hours). You would be part of a team responsible for course and assessments development and delivery under the supervision of a Head of Discipline and following the program’s curriculum. You would have opportunities to serve on CPS committees.
Successful Candidates must demonstrate the qualifications and character required to effectively teach and work in an intensive undergraduate preparatory program with Kazakhstani youth.
- Master’s degree in mathematics or math degree with extensive teaching experience (a closely related field with extensive, applicable teaching experience may be considered)
- Excellent teaching competencies with the ability to teach cooperatively to deliver a unified curriculum
- Experience that demonstrates the ability to (1) work in a multicultural educational environment, (2) be a supportive, positive team member, and (3) live and work in Kazakhstan
- Evidence of a strong work ethic, mature professional behavior, exemplary personal character, and cooperative attitude
- Excellent English and communications skills and the ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Compelling desire to invest in Kazakhstani youth and their educational development
Nazarbayev University offers:
- Internationally competitive salary
- 56 days paid leave per year
- Rent-free housing based on family size
- Relocation allowance
- Air tickets twice a year to home country
- No-cost medical insurance with global coverage
- Educational allowance for children
To Apply click the link and upload (in PDF if possible):
1. Curriculum Vitae: max 4 pages (normal font and spacing) and include Contact Information for at least two referees and the contact information of your current/most recent supervisor. Note: referees/employer will not be contacted unless you are shortlisted and give permission.
2. Cover Letter (max 1 page).
3. Application Information (in a third document) that includes (1) a sentence of 50 words or less that begin with My teaching is…, (2) a brief paragraph (<150 words) that begins with As a math teacher in CPS, I would…, and (3) a statement affirming that you can arrive in Kazakhstan NLT 20 January 2020 if offered the position.
Do not upload any other materials to your application at this time. Prior to shortlisting, candidates are asked to complete a questionnaire.
Review of applications will begin immediately; the position will remain open until filled; initial interviews will begin 10 October 2019.
Questions regarding CPS, the program or the position can be addressed to the Director through Smart Recruiter. Additional information can be found at the official website of Nazarbayev University www.nu.edu.kz.
Nazarbayev University is an EOE.