Associate General Counsel
- Rockville, MD, USA
- Department: Legal & Compliance
Aurinia exists to make a difference in transforming people’s lives by delivering innovative treatments to patients living with serious, rare autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. From the earliest days of the company, we’ve applied an inventive, thoughtful, and responsible approach to developing therapies for people in need. Through our dedication, we relentlessly preserve and execute with integrity to reach our main objective, to improve patients’ health. In addition to driving adoption of our approved therapy, LUPKYNIS™, for appropriate people with lupus nephritis, we are also actively pursuing a broader portfolio of innovative drugs for autoimmune disease.
Our strategy leverages the skills and knowledge of our incredible team and our deep experience in principled drug development and commercialization. Aurinia provides a working environment where individuals can thrive in a professional, creative, and inspirational atmosphere. Together, we are driven to make an impact for our patient communities as advocates and partners in innovation.
The Associate General Counsel will provide proactive and strategic advice and counsel. Focusing on our US commercial operations, the Associate General Counsel will, in collaboration with our commercial teams (including sales, marketing, patient access and reimbursement teams), develop, implement and execute legal strategies that provide a solid legal position while enabling business objectives. It is the expectation of the Associate, General Counsel to provide clear and appropriate advice, work independently and know when to appropriately escalate complex and unique topics for confirmation of their own well-reasoned positions.
• Collaborate with the General Counsel to define and provide strategic direction for the legal function leveraging knowledge of industry best practices
• Collaborate with various aspects of the US commercial team to provide legal guidance for US commercial operations
• Proactively plan for emerging trends in laws applicable to the pharmaceutical industry, anticipate the impact on processes, and work with business stakeholders to determine how to address them using the most up to date information around emerging state and federal laws
• Provide legal guidance to Medical, Legal & Regulatory Review Committee and related submissions
• Maintain a current working knowledge of various laws, regulations, and industry guidance that affect the corporation’s commercial activities, including federal and state government price reporting laws, state and federal privacy laws including OIG and DOJ guidelines, PhRMA code and state marketing laws.
• Assist in creating and editing corporate contracts, as needed. Maintaining knowledge of Aurinia’s operations and legal documents
• Assist in the appropriate preservation of corporate records.
• Liaising with outside counsel, as necessary
• Provide legal opinions on various situations, as needed
• Provide interpretations and recommendations to management and other staff
• Plan, develop and implement internal policies and procedures
• Proactively look for solutions and best practices to mitigate risk
• Workwith external parties such as regulators
• Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations
• Juris Doctor degree required
• 5+ years practice as a corporate General Counsel or similar role in the pharmaceutical and/or life sciences industry
• Experience with drafting contracts as it relates to commercial vendors
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Proficient understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality
• Excellent knowledge of a wide range of legal issues
• Ability to develop, execute and communicate a legal strategy and objectives that enable the business
• Ability to hold self and others accountable to meet commitments
• Able to anticipate and balance the needs of multiple stakeholders
• Strong moral and ethical principles
• Excellent judgement and analytical skills
• Strong voice who can articulate in a persuasive and clear way; to influence, challenge and motivate others with a collegial and engaging style and can influence without authority
• Proven ability to balance the needs of, and build consensus across, multiple stakeholders at all levels of the organization
• Able to thrive in an evolving and dynamic environment
• Energized by the opportunity to mentor and develop colleagues on the legal team
Aurinia may consider remote employment for this position for the right candidate.
All candidate information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.