Medical Director / Senior Medical Director Medical Affairs
- Remote or Rockville, MD, United States
- Department: Medical Affairs
Aurinia is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing therapies in disease areas of high unmet medical need. We are currently developing voclosporin, an investigational drug, for the treatment of Lupus Nephritis (LN) and focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS). Additionally, we are advancing voclosporin ophthalmic solution (VOS), a topical formulation, for the treatment of dry eye syndrome (DES).
Our Medical Affairs team advances patient care by engaging in scientific exchange with external medical experts and industry leaders ensuring the scientific value of our products is understood. We connect, communicate and train internal employees to ensure a thorough understanding of the science behind the medicine and review further unmet medical needs to support collaboration to further differentiate our portfolio.
The Medical Director, is a credentialed (i.e., MD, PhD, or PharmD) therapeutic and disease expert who engages in scientific exchange with leaders in the external medical and scientific community. This position provides to Scientific Leaders balanced, factual, scientific information about non-product areas of interest to the company. The role provides research support to our trials to enhance the understanding of the scientific foundations and goals of the study, support patient enrollment and retention efforts for a given study or address Investigator questions. RMSDs also respond to scientific questions from SLs, including questions about company products.
- Develop professional relationships and communicate with national and regional scientific leaders to ensure access to medical and scientific information on areas of therapeutic interest and company products.
- Conduct peer to peer scientific discussions and maintain a reliable presence with those scientific leaders to ensure they have a medical contact within the company.
- Support Company-Sponsored Trials to enhance the understanding of scientific foundations and goals of the study, support patient enrollment and retention efforts or address investigator questions.
- May initiate discussion with potential investigators to determine the level of interest and qualifications for a specific compound or trial.
- Address requests from investigators for information regarding participation in our Research and Development Division's studies.
- Address scientific questions.
- Studies to enhance the understanding of the scientific foundations and goals of the study, support patient enrollment and retention efforts or address investigator questions.
- Share the company's "˜areas of interest' and discuss study concepts to assess scientific merit and alignment with the company's research strategies.
- Respond to unsolicited requests for assistance from potential investigators in submitting research proposals by providing internal guidelines or technical and scientific advice.
- Education and training to maintain current knowledge and understanding of dynamic scientific and clinical environment in the company's areas of interest.
- Direct scientific leader inquiries on issues outside of scope of responsibilities (e.g., grants) to appropriate company resources consistent with applicable policies.
- When requested by our Research and Development team, serve as a resource for the identification of potential investigators for consideration for participating in phase II-IV clinical development programs
- In response to unsolicited requests from scientific leaders, provide areas of interest and general high-level information regarding the company Investigator Study Program process.
- Serve as a role model for other field medical team members, including on-boarding and/or therapeutic training partner.
- Attend scientific and medical meetings.
- Minimum of 3-4 years US experience and proven therapeutic competencies in rheumatology/nephrology.
- Advanced scientific degree (MD or PhD) required
- Advanced clinical and/or scientific knowledge in rheumatology/nephrology is preferred
- Capable of conducting doctoral level discussions with key external stakeholders
- Strong focus on scientific education and dialogue
- Relevant pharmaceutical company experience within Medical Affairs
- Experience writing clinical study reports, poster presentations, and manuscripts for publication in a scientific journal is preferable
- Significant leadership experience is required
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constant changing environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Works independently with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work in smaller start-up environment
- Travel approximately 40%
All candidate information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.