Farmer-to-Farmer Marketing and Branding Specialist
- Loja, Ecuador
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA’s USAID-funded Farmer-to-Farmer program sends American farmers and agribusiness professionals on 2-4 week agricultural development assignments, promoting sustainable growth and agricultural development worldwide. Volunteer technical assistance from U.S. farmers, agribusinesses, cooperatives and universities helps smallholder farmers in developing countries improve productivity, access new markets and conserve environmental and natural resources. During COVID-19 we have shifted to a hybrid volunteer model that affords US volunteers and in-country volunteers the opportunity to continue to provide technical assistance. For more information visit NCBA CLUSA Farmer-to-Farmer.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking 2 (1- remote US volunteer and 1- volunteer based in Ecuador) qualified Farmer-to-Farmer volunteer candidates for the position of Marketing and Branding Specialist to support Asociación Agroartesanal de Productores Ecológicos de Café Especial del Cantón Loja (APECAEL), based in Loja, Ecuador.
APECAEL was founded in 2004 by organic coffee growers when many farmers were abandoning coffee production due to its unprofitability. Now, farmers sell their coffee in national and international markets collectively. APECAEL is a small association with 45 members, and of these members, two women and one youth sit on their Board of Directors.
APECAEL has unique characteristics that differentiate them from most of the market: they sell coffee through associative commercialization, use organic and good agriculture practices, and sell coffee with different roast levels. APECAEL also has the fortune of having its members located at different altitudes allowing the coffee to be grown year-round. Despite these characteristics, APECAEL has not firmly established itself in the market. They have no marketing strategy or brand analysis, but they want to learn how to create these. APECAEL also wants to promote their products on social media; they have the accounts but are unsure what they need to do to utilize them fully.
Duration: 2 Weeks (October – December 2021)
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Analyze the current branding analysis and marketing practices for the association and provide constructive feedback about improvement opportunities.
- Based on the analysis, provide training on branding and how to improve the marketing strategies.
- Provide training on social media management and how this can enhance the association's image.
- Teach participants about tools to promote their brand and make it recognizable to differentiate from competitors.
- The volunteer should have experience in branding and marketing.
- Degree in Communication, Marketing and Branding, and/or a related field.
- Expertise in social media and virtual marketing and branding.
- Background working with associations in agriculture is a plus.
- Available for virtual communications with Host Organization, Staff and Co-volunteer
- US candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
- Advanced English language skills; reading, writing, speaking.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
All application materials must be submitted in English.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.