Farmer-to-Farmer Marketing and Sales Strategist
- Milagro, Ecuador
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA’s USAID-funded Farmer-to-Farmer program sends American farmers and agribusiness professionals on 2-4 week agricultural development assignments, promoting sustainable growth and agricultural development worldwide. Volunteer technical assistance from U.S. farmers, agribusinesses, cooperatives and universities helps smallholder farmers in developing countries improve productivity, access new markets and conserve environmental and natural resources. During COVID-19 we have shifted to a hybrid volunteer model that affords US volunteers and in-country volunteers the opportunity to continue to provide technical assistance. For more information visit NCBA CLUSA Farmer-to-Farmer.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking 2 (1- remote US volunteer and 1- volunteer based in Ecuador) qualified Farmer-to-Farmer volunteer candidates for the position of Marketing and Sales Strategist to support Asociación de Producción Agropecuaria Cargo (ASOPROCARGO), based in Milagro, Ecuador.
ASOPROCARGO was formed in 2016 when the price for cacao beans dropped and farmers were unable to break even with their input costs. The 12 initial farmers were able to pool their beans and negotiate higher-volume contracts as a result. Currently, they have 16 members, and they are looking to increase their membership numbers, especially among women and youth.
ASOPROCARGO sells their beans to 2 main clients, whom they gained from word-of-mouth recommendation. But the organization is trying to expand their business by increasing their number of partnerships and enter the chocolate production business. To do so, the farmers want to receive training on marketing and sales strategies. They also hope to learn more about utilizing their Social Media accounts and how to develop marketing materials.
Duration: 2 Weeks (October – December 2021)
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Analyze the current sale and marketing management and provide constructive feedback about improvement opportunities.
- Teach participants how to sell their products using various tools such as social media platforms, improved advertising strategies, and overall improved sales skills.
- Teach participants methods to develop marketing material like brochures and/or banners, with available software like PowerPoint or Microsoft Word.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- The volunteer should be a sales professional with experience in marketing.
- Experience leveraging various social media platforms to attract clientele, create branding and promotional materials, content ideation, and brand management.
- Degree in Marketing, Branding, Publicity, or related majors.
- Background working with associations in agriculture is a plus.
- Available for virtual communications with Host Organization, Staff and Co-volunteer
- US candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
- Advanced English language skills; reading, writing, speaking.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
All application materials must be submitted in English.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.