Business Development Specialist
- Monzón District, Peru
- Employees can work remotely
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA’s USAID-funded Farmer-to-Farmer program sends American farmers and agribusiness professionals on 2-4 week agricultural development assignments, promoting sustainable growth and agricultural development worldwide. Volunteer technical assistance from U.S. farmers, agribusinesses, cooperatives and universities helps smallholder farmers in developing countries improve productivity, access new markets and conserve environmental and natural resources. During COVID-19 we have shifted to a hybrid volunteer model that affords US volunteers and in-country volunteers the opportunity to continue to provide technical assistance. For more information visit NCBA CLUSA Farmer-to-Farmer.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking 2 (1- remote US volunteer and 1- volunteer based in Peru) qualified Farmer-to-Farmer volunteer candidates for the position of Business Development Specialist to support Asociación de productores cacaoteros y cafetaleros del Valle del Monzón (APROCAF), based in Huamalies, Huanuco, Peru.
APROCAF was established in 2019 to provide its associates with access to a more competitive market. APROCAF organizes its coffee farmers to apply organic practices and sell their coffee at a fair price. APROCAF engages women in its processes and as leaders for the sorting and de-pulping of coffee beans. Youth are also engaged in the organization and lead the coffee drying process. APROCAF holds two certifications: Fair Trade, C.A.F.E. practice, and organic.
While having a strong customer base for their products, APROCAF needs to develop their core business model to be sustainable and build up their business. They hope to increase the organization’s profitability and provide members the ability to control and prevent coffee pests and diseases. They also hope to utilize their certifications to attract more international clients.
Duration: 2-3 Weeks (July 2021- October 2021)
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Assess the business plan currently being developed by APROCAF to determine areas that require further development.
- Survey the Board of Directors and members to ascertain plans for future business endeavors.
- Train members and employees on APROCAF's business model.
- Teach members the importance of management documents (business plan, strategic plan, etc.) and the structure of a business plan.
- Assist the Co-op to develop strategic objectives, mission, and vision statement.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree in Business Administration or Business management.
- Experience with business planning and organizational management.
- Knowledge of the coffee value chain, including international and national markets.
- Ability to facilitate group trainings and discussions, adult training, and the skills to transmit his/her knowledge in non-technical language.
- Available for virtual communications with Host Organization, Staff and Co-volunteer.
- US candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
- Advanced English language skills; reading, writing, speaking.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
All application materials must be submitted in English.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.