Farmer-to-Farmer Marketing Strategist
- Nabón Canton, Ecuador
- Employees can work remotely
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the primary voice for people who use cooperative businesses to build a better world and a more inclusive economy. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For over 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 85 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking 2 (1- remote US volunteer and 1- volunteer based in Ecuador) qualified Farmer-to-Farmer volunteer candidates for the position of Marketing Strategists to support Asociación de Pequeños Productores de Café Nueva Fátima de YANASACHA - Café YANASACHA based in Nabón, Ecuador.
Café Yanasacha is an organization created by coffee growers' families, who produce organic coffee in Nabón canton. This organization started to work in 2016, but it was established in 2018 as an association. They are a small group of coffee growers who combine their parchment coffee and transform it into roasted coffee at a processing facility.
The association wants to increase its market opportunities for selling its current products. They want to learn methods to promote their coffee, possibly creating a marketing team comprised of youth members. Since inception, they have tried to gain access to the coffee market without much success. They recognize that they are still growing but members do not know what tools, resources, etc. they need to access national and international markets. They are processing eight quintals of coffee monthly and selling to customers in Nabón and Cuenca's local markets. In 2020, they produced 96 quintals of parchment coffee. Their coffee has a potential market niche for buyers who are looking for specialty coffee, but they do not know how to measure coffee quality.
Duration: 2 weeks June- August 2021
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Teach participants about developing effective strategies and tools to appeal to their target audience.
- Analyze the association's current techniques and methods for market research and provide constructive feedback about improvement opportunities.
- Develop comprehensive training on new market opportunities and their importance for the association's development.
- Develop a strategic marketing plan to enhance the competitiveness if their current products to become more attractive to the consumers.
- Degree in Marketing, Communications, and/or a related field.
- Experience in market assessment, market opportunity analysis, and sales.
- Previous experience supporting coffee growers and associations.
- Background working with associations in agriculture is a plus.
- Available for virtual communications with Host Organization, Staff and Co-volunteer
- US candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
- Advanced English language skills; reading, writing, speaking.
All application materials must be submitted in English.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.