Farmer-to-Farmer Biols and Biofertilizer
- Atacames Canton, Ecuador
- Employees can work remotely
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the primary voice for people who use cooperative businesses to build a better world and a more inclusive economy. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For over 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 85 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking 1-qualified Farmer-to-Farmer volunteer based in Ecuador for the position of Biols & Biofertilizer Expert to support Unión de Organizaciones de Productores de Cacao Arriba Ecuador (UOPROCAE) based in Atacames, Ecuador. The Biols & Biofertilizer Expert will support this group consisting of 5 grassroots cacao producing organizations: APROCA, APROCAM, Ecocacao, APROCAR and ASOPROARONES to develop a universal biofertilizer recipe. These 450 farmer members sell their chocolate under the brand “Herencia Esmeraldas” which is sold worldwide.
As fertilizer costs are on the rise, farmers in UOPROCAE are looking for new ways or techniques to provide the necessary nutrients to cacao cultivation and one of the options is organic fertilizers such as biol. UOPROCAE supplements the biol with MM (Mountain Microorganism) and they apply it to the crops. This action provides better nutrition to the plant and protection against pests and diseases such as Monilia (Moniliophthora roreri) and Escoba de Bruja (Moniliophthora perniciosa).
Currently 20-30% of their producers are using the biols techniques, but leaders comment that their formula needs to be improved and adopted by 100% of producers. They would like to receive training on biol preparation techniques that use readily available resources to increase cacao productivity.
Duration: 2 weeks, May-July 2021
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Assessment of current biol and organic fertilizers process.
- Provide trainings on bio-fertilizers formulation to benefit cacao crops
- Train participants to elaborate biofertilizer that integrates local resources.
- Recommend strategies that will help guarantee a higher use of biofertilizers by the cacao farmers.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- A degree in horticulture or a related field is preferred
- Broad experience in biofertilizer elaboration, agroecology, organic agriculture, organic pest management, smallholder farming, with good communication skills.
- Background in cacao value chain is a plus, but not mandatory.
- Available for virtual communications with Host Organization, Staff and Co-volunteer
- Advanced English language skills; reading, writing, speaking.
All application materials must be submitted in English.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.