Farmer-to-Farmer E-commerce Specialist
- Lamas, Peru
- Employees can work remotely
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the primary voice for people who use cooperative businesses to build a better world and a more inclusive economy. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For over 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 85 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking 2 (1- US volunteer and 1- volunteer based in Peru) qualified Farmer-to-Farmer volunteer candidates for the position of E-commerce Specialists to support Cooperativa Agraria Cafetalera Oro Verde based in San Martin, Peru.
Oro Verde’s business model is divided into two main ventures: Oro Verde Coop and Oro Verde Foods, they own 83% and 17% of the joint venture, respectively. Oro Verde Coop processes and commercializes green coffee and cacao beans to national and international customers. Whereas Oro Verde Foods, an enterprise founded in 2012, is dedicated to producing by-products such as roasted coffee (70%), honey (20%) and panela, unrefined cane sugar, (10%); chocolate bars are also produced by a third party.
Oro Verde Foods has been selling their retail products directly to customers. Thirty percent of their sales were done through their coffee shop located in Lamas, a small touristic town where the coop is located, 30% of sales occurred in regional supermarkets and 40% purchased directly from the manufacturing facility. In 2020, due to the covid-19 outbreak, the coffee shop was closed for 5 months, resulting in decreased income for the coop. COVID-19 has highlighted the importance of transitioning from physical sale transactions to virtual platforms and Oro Verde would like to implement an e-commerce system to increase their sales and obtain a strong position in the national market.
Duration: 2 weeks, March- December 2021
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Analyze and propose, along with the trainees an e-commerce business model according to Oro Verde’s needs.
- Revise the market niche and establish the products that can be sold in the platform with the board of directors and administrative staff.
- Conduct trainings to increase trainees’ competences in how to manage an e-commerce platform, online transactions and promote the platform.
- Guide the coop trainees on how to develop a strategy for attracting customers to an e-commerce platform.
- A degree in Marketing, Business, and/or a similar field
- Experience in online marketing for a transactional ecommerce website and multi-channel sales
- Proven experience executing profit-driven advertising campaigns to meet business goals
- Demonstrated expertise using data, analytics and metrics to measure performance and determine improvements
- Experience in implementing e-commerce platforms for businesses (specifically cooperative business, is a plus).
- Knowledge in coffee and cocoa by-products, national and international market would be desirable.
- Available for virtual communications with Host Organization, Staff and Co-volunteer
- US candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
- Advanced English language skills; reading, writing, speaking.
All application materials must be submitted in English.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.