Chief of Party - Mozambique
For over 60 years, the National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) has contributed to high-impact international development projects in more than 85 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Grounded in the seven cooperative principles, NCBA CLUSA’s international development work seeks to alleviate poverty through social and economic empowerment. NCBA CLUSA’s work focuses on building resilient communities, creating economic opportunities, and strengthening cooperatives and producer organizations. Our community-led development approach empowers communities to identify, promote, and manage sustainable, locally generated solutions.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID-funded Market Systems and Resilience Activity. The Chief of Party will provide overall technical vision and leadership, overseeing the design and implementation of the USAID Market Systems and Resilience Activity. The Chief of Party will manage project staff, consortium partners and/or sub-partners to ensure oversee project deliverables are on-time and within budget. The Chief of Party will be responsible for program compliance ensuring all program activities are in accordance with USAID rules and regulations. The expected duration of the project is five years. This will be a contract position pending award from USAID.
Essential Areas of Responsibility
- Provide overall technical vision, leadership, and oversee the design and implementation of project activities.
- Lead internal and external project planning and reporting, including annual work planning with sub recipients.
- Work closely with the NCBA CLUSA Mozambique Director and the Headquarters program management team ensure high-quality periodic reporting.
- Apply an adaptive management and learning approach to adjust activities for greater impact and replicate and scale successful activities.
- Serve as the primary representative of the project to USAID, relevant government entities, partners, and other implementers and stakeholders.
- Ensure project harmony amongst project staff, consortium partners and/or sub-partners,
- Manage, supervise and build capacity of all field staff, long‐term staff, short‐term staff, consortium partners, and/or sub‐partners, as proposed.
- Develop and manage a team that includes members of diverse backgrounds in order to successfully co-create and implement a sustainable integrated design.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, social inclusion and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
Finance and Compliance Management
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of USAID resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with USAID standards.
- Ensure sound financial management including programmatic budgeting, spending projections, and monitoring of payments.
Successful Candidates will have the following Qualifications:
- Advanced degree in Agriculture, Business, Economics or other related field.
- 10+ years of experience in managing large, complex USAID projects, preferably in the areas of agriculture, resilience, and market development.
- 5+ years of experience working in Mozambique with strong contextual knowledge of key market actors.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with government counterparts in the cooperating country, USG donors, and other key stakeholders and partners.
- Ability to successfully recruit, train, build capacity, motivate and manage staff, consortium partners, and/or sub-partners.
- Ability to negotiate and manage agreements and all required programmatic and financial reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated understanding of USAID grant or contract rules and regulations.
- Proven ability to produce results in challenging contexts and the capacity to effectively deal with and resolve conflict.
- Experience designing and implementing project activities inclusive of marginalized populations including women and youth.
- Excellent communication (both oral and written), analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Travel is essential and may include travel under difficult conditions. An average of 25%-35% travel for project implementation and/or project management duties.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.