Farmer-to-Farmer Honduras Country Director
- Tegucigalpa, Honduras
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
Please note: This is a local position- no expat allowances are available
SCOPE AND PURPOSE:
The Honduras Country Director is responsible for overseeing the USAID-funded Farmer-to-Farmer Program (F2F). This position will lead the development of the country workplans, assess progress, and manage activity budgets and financial requirements. Additionally, s/he will be accountable for the successful implementation of all program activities according to the projects’ strategies and objectives.
The F2F Program promotes sustainable economic growth and agricultural development worldwide. Volunteer technical assistance from US farmers, agribusinesses, cooperatives, and universities helps developing countries to improve productivity, access new markets, and conserve environmental and natural resources. The people-to-people exchange promotes international goodwill, understanding of US foreign assistance programs, and private involvement in development activities. F2F volunteers work with farmers, producer groups, rural businesses, and service providers to develop local capacity necessary to enhance food security, increase incomes and economic growth, and address environmental and natural resource management challenges.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Leads all in-country F2F activities;
- Represents NCBA CLUSA in Honduras to relevant stakeholders, including USAID, other donors, partners, host organizations, etc. at meetings, events, conferences, etc.;
- Maintains constant communications with the home office, reporting on implementation progress and challenges encountered;
- Coordinates program activities within Honduras including, but not limited to:
- identifying, designing, and implementing Country F2F Projects;
- coordinating any flexible F2F assignments;
- identifying potential partners and hosts;
- developing volunteer scopes of work;
- facilitating volunteer assignments;
- providing pre- and post-assignment assistance to hosts;
- updating sector and sub-sector analyses;
- lead planning and implementation of occasional in-country events
- Provides leadership, advice, and mentoring of support staff and project partners;
- Prepares project implementation and impact reports and other programming/project documents as needed for effective oversight by head office and marketing of NCBA CLUSA achievements and capabilities;
- Ensures sound systems for monitoring and assessing impact from program activities; and coordinating work with other stakeholders;
- Develop processes and oversee all administration and finance aspects of the projects
- Start up and close out the F2F project;
- Coordinate and strategize with HQ and other F2F countries;
- Supervise a small team, including field coordinators, accountant, and driver;
- Other duties as assigned
- University degree preferably in agriculture or a related and relevant field;
- Minimum eight years professional experience in assignments relevant to coffee, horticulture, and cooperatives;
- Good knowledge of and contacts in local agribusiness sectors;
- Ability to network effectively with country stakeholders including agriculture and other sectors;
- Experience supervising and mentoring a team;
- Previous experience with international volunteers preferred;
- Experience implementing international development projects, preferably in the areas related to NCBA CLUSA’s core focus sectors: cooperative development, agriculture, economic development, democracy and governance, natural resource management, cooperative development, integrated women and gender initiatives, & community health;
- Experience coordinating technical and administrative program activities;
- Excellent capacity to understand and manage complex budgets in relation to program implementation;
- Planning: strategic thinking and planning capacity to support five-to ten-year time organizational plans and trends in development initiatives;
- Fluency in English and Spanish (reading, writing and speaking) required;
- Attention to detail, and excellent leadership, management, organizational, analytical, oral, and written communications skills;
- Commitment to company mission, vision, principles, and values;
- Excellent computer skills (Outlook, Word, Excel);
- Ability to travel to field sites approximately 20-30% of the year.
Please submit your application in English via SmartRecruiters by November 1,2020. Please include salary range expectations. CVs are required in English and cover letters and EBD 1420 forms are strongly recommended. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.