Farmer-to-Farmer Post-Harvest Handler- Cashews
- Kampong Thum, Krong Stueng Saen, Cambodia
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA’s USAID-funded Farmer-to-Farmer program sends American farmers and agribusiness professionals on 2-4 week agricultural development assignments, promoting sustainable growth and agricultural development worldwide. Volunteer technical assistance from U.S. farmers, agribusinesses, cooperatives and universities helps smallholder farmers in developing countries improve productivity, access new markets and conserve environmental and natural resources. For more information visit NCBA CLUSA Farmer-to-Farmer.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified Farmer-to-Farmer volunter candidate for the position of Post-Harvest Handler to support Chey Sambo Cashew Producers based in Kâmpóng Thum, Cambodia. The Post-Harvest Handler will support their processing procedures; specifically, cracking the nut. The cashew producers have noticed that when they separate the shell from the nut, using a nutcracker purchased from the regional market, the nuts are breaking into multiple pieces. The goal is to break the shell from the nut while leaving the whole nut intact because whole nuts warrant a larger sales price than broken pieces.
Duration: 2-3 weeks, June- September 2020 (Due to the global impact of COVID-19, Farmer-to-Farmer volunteer assignments are tentatively scheduled to restart summer 2020)
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Review and analyze current post harvest handling procedures
- Collaborate with the producer group to assess their needs as it relates to available equipment that removes the shell from the cashew nut
- Introduce best practices for post-harvest handling of cashews, which would mitigate damage
- Provide training, that would make the transition to these improved practices seamless
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree in mechanical/industrial engineering or related filed is desired.
- Successful experience in supporting nut processing
- Working knowledge of tree nuts
- Quality assurance in nut processing desired
- Candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
- Advanced Khmer is a plus (However a translator will be available if needed)
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.