Farmer-to-Farmer Cold Storage and Handling Specialist
- Krong Pursat, Cambodia
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA’s USAID-funded Farmer-to-Farmer program sends American farmers and agribusiness professionals on 2-4 week agricultural development assignments, promoting sustainable growth and agricultural development worldwide. Volunteer technical assistance from U.S. farmers, agribusinesses, cooperatives and universities helps smallholder farmers in developing countries improve productivity, access new markets and conserve environmental and natural resources. For more information visit NCBA CLUSA Farmer-to-Farmer.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Cold Storage and Handling Specialist to support Sopheap Orange Business based in Pouthisat, Cambodia. The Cold Storage and Handling Specialist will assess and provide recommendations for cold storage equipment that the business should use for their operations. In efforts to expand business operations, Sopheap intends to implement long-term storage of oranges to sell during low season, when market rate is high. The business wants a consultant to propose methods to store raw fruit long term as well as how to transport in tropical climates.
Duration: 2 weeks, June- September 2020 (Due to the global impact of COVID-19, Farmer-to-Farmer volunteer assignments are tentatively scheduled to restart summer 2020)
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Assist the business owner in assessing regional market availability of a storage freezer that would best meet cold chain storage goals.
- Conduct an assessment of cold storage equipment needed to store and transport frozen oranges, and provide recommendations for use
- Provide guidance in order to minimize losses, preserve quality, extend product shelf life, and access new markets
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree in Agribusiness, Food Science, Supply Chain, Logistics or related field.
- Experience and knowledge about cold chain and refrigerated transport in a consumer food channel
- Supply chain and/or logistics experience with a strong understanding of cold chain products and customer requirements for perishable foods is desired
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, leadership, and analytical skills
- Candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
- Advanced Khmer is a plus (However a translator will be available if needed)
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.