Farmer-to-Farmer Integrated Pest Management Volunteer
- Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the positon of Integrated Pest Management Volunteer to support Siem Reap Cashew Producers Group, based in Siemréab, Cambodia. The IPM Volunteer will provide pest and disease management training to this newly formed producer group. Each of the farms has been in operation for 5+ years but have had trouble managing the pest and disease that have ravaged their cashew fruit trees. The farmers have not yet identified the specific pest nor disease but are familiar with the symptoms.
Previous interventions involved ineffective pesticide application 8-10 times per season which resulted in losses.
Duration: 2-3 weeks during May- June 2020
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Observe on-farm production and harvest techniques to determine best implementation methods for the farmers
- In collaboration with the producer group, develop the Integrated Pest Management training manual which will be utilized by the cashew nut producers
- Conduct technical training; both theory and practical on identifying pest and disease in field, mitigation techniques, pesticide application, etc.
- Develop and deliver a Training-of-Trainers curriculum for IPM
Masters or PhD in plant sciences, integrated pest management, entomology or phytopathology
- Successful experience supervising pesticide applications related to cashew nut farms.
- Knowledge of fruit tree production, preferably cashews
- Previous experience calibrating spraying equipment
- Group facilitation and training experience
- Candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.