Farmer-to-Farmer (F2F) Volunteer Compost Engineer
- San Martin, 22770, Peru
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Compost Engineer to support Asociación de Productores Ecológicos (APROECO) based in San Martin, Peru. The Compost Engineer will provide hands-on training for the cooperative to utilize local, natural resources to establish their compost pile. Currently the farmers purchase fertilizer to use on their land and this is creating a financial burden. Coffee pulp and the husks have been used in numerous instances as substrates in compost, and these farmers have plenty readily available. Unfortunately, previous attempts at creating a compost heap, were unsuccessful. The Compost Engineer will need to help this cooperative build up their soil health and provide trainings on how to successfully manage a compost pile.
Duration: 3 weeks; February - March 2020 OR November- December 2020
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
· Conduct and review soil analyses with the cooperative
· Assess local inputs used for natural fertilizers and give recommendations on how these inputs can be best used.
· Train farmers on soil conservation practices, compost management, proper nutrient management and good agricultural practices.
· Collaborate with cooperative members to plan and create a compost pile using local materials
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
· Agronomic or Environmental Engineer will significant soil management experience is desired
· Experience with mid- large scale compost facilities
· Knowledge of soil science, and composting, including chemical and physical properties of soils in coffee plantations is preferred
· Candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
· Advanced Spanish is a plus (However a translator will be available if needed)
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.