Farmer-to-Farmer (F2F) Cooperative Governance Volunteer
- El Limon, El Salvador
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Cooperative Governance Volunteer to support Asociación Cooperativa de Producción y Comercialización Agropecuaria El Limón (ACOELI) based in Morazán, El Salvador. This budding cooperative has multiple greenhouses where they grow tomato, cucumber, hot pepper, cabbage and cilantro. Members have recognized that the cooperative’s biggest weaknesses are poor organization, administrative problems and poor understanding of governance. The Cooperative Governance Volunteer is expected to provide a training to the ACOELI board of directors on governance skills related to board meeting moderation, board member roles, decision-making, and by-laws reinforcement. It is desired that the volunteer also trains the board members on finances and planning.
Duration: 2 weeks in September- December
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
· Conduct an organization needs assessment
· Provide training to the board of directors on governance skills, board meetings moderation, leadership strengthening, board members roles, decision-making, and by-laws reinforcement
· Design and present an action plan (recommendations and timeline) for strengthening the board members’ skills addressed during the training
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
· Governance, management or internal procedures expert; cooperative development experience desired
· Strong organizational and project management skills
· Gender and youth strategies.
· Advanced Spanish is a plus (However a translator will be available if needed).
· Candidate must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.