Farmer-to-Farmer (F2F) Plant Propagation Expert
- Intibuca, Honduras
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Plant Propagation Volunteer to support Asociación de Mujeres Intibucanas Renovadas (AMIR), based in Intibuca, Honduras. This organization, comprised of indigenous Lenca women from the region have been successful in advocating women’s rights, food safety, economic empowerment, leadership, as well as producing organic fertilizers, processing fruits to create marmalades, sweets, etc. As part of their economic empowerment objective, they want to teach their members how to propagate vegetables, seed saving techniques, and good agricultural practices in order to maximize profits. The selected candidate is expected to train members on vegetative propagation methods, including low-cost recommendations and techniques that are applicable in the communities. Additionally. They will give advice on soil management, rescue of native seeds and farming practices.
Duration: 2-3 weeks in August- November 2019
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
· Teach the members about growing plants from seeds to cuttings, budding and grafting.
· Carry out an assessment of vegetative materials available, tools and other agricultural assets that are necessary for successful implementation of plant propagation methods.
· Teach the members about different growing techniques to improve productivity.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
· Degree in Agriculture and/or Horticulture Science; can substitute experience
· Knowledge of plant maintenance, seed germination, initiating new plant growth
· Background in soil management is desirable
· Gender and youth strategies.
· Advanced Spanish is a plus (However a translator will be available if needed).
· Candidate must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.