Farmer-to-Farmer (F2F) Integrated Pest Management Volunteer
- Morazàn, sv
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 21 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Integrated Pest Management Volunteer in Morazàn, El Salvador. The volunteer will support farmers of Asociación Empresarial de Productores del Norte de Morazán(AEPANM) who are planting cucurbit crops that include, but are not limited to, güisquil and cucumber. Presently the crops are experiencing severe problems with thrips and diseases, which have not been deterred by current pest control measures. This is ultimately affecting the producers bottom-line; decrease in crop yields and income. The selected volunteer will provide technical assistance which will allow for a prosperous production cycle incorporating the devised IPM.
Duration: 3 weeks (Start date of March – April)
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
· Assess the current conditions of producer fields and determine which pest control measures would prove most beneficial to the producers
· Design a holistic and robust IPM manual for cucurbit producers
· Develop and deliver a Training-of-Trainers curriculum for IPM
· Train curcubit farmers on IPM
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
· Prior experience performing IPM in a greenhouse or commercial farming environment
· Experience supervising pesticide applications
· Knowledge of vegetable production, preferably cucurbit experience
· Knowledge of plant sciences, integrated pest management, entomology or phytopathology; MSc or higher desired
· Advanced Spanish is a plus (However a translator will be available if needed)
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain effective relationships
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.