Lead Machine Learning Engineer, Peacock
- Business Segment: Direct-to-Consumer
We create world-class content, which we distribute across our portfolio of film, television, and streaming, and bring to life through our theme parks and consumer experiences. We own and operate leading entertainment and news brands, including NBC, NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC Sports, Telemundo, NBC Local Stations, Bravo, USA Network, and Peacock, our premium ad-supported streaming service. We produce and distribute premier filmed entertainment and programming through Universal Filmed Entertainment Group and Universal Studio Group, and have world-renowned theme parks and attractions through Universal Destinations & Experiences. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, coupled with our Corporate Social Responsibility work, is informed by our employees, audiences, park guests and the communities in which we live. We strive to foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. Together, we’ll continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world.
Our Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) portfolio is a powerhouse collection of consumer-first brands, supported by media industry leaders, Comcast, NBCUniversal and Sky. When you join our team, you’ll work across our dynamic portfolio including Peacock, NOW, Fandango, SkyShowtime, Showmax, and TV Everywhere, powering streaming across more than 70 countries globally. And the evolution doesn’t stop there. With unequalled scale, our teams make the most out of every opportunity to collaborate and learn from one another. We’re always looking for ways to innovate faster, accelerate our growth and consistently offer the very best in consumer experience. But most of all, we’re backed by a culture of respect. We embrace authenticity and inspire people to thrive.
As part of the Direct-to-Consumer Decision Sciences team, the Lead ML Engineer will be responsible for creating a connected data ecosystem that unleashes the power of our streaming data. We gather data from across all customer/prospect journeys in near real-time, to allow fast feedback loops across territories; combined with our strategic data platform, this data ecosystem is at the core of being able to make intelligent customer and business decisions.
In this role, the Lead ML Engineer will share responsibilities in the development and maintenance of an optimized and highly available machine learning pipelines that facilitate decision making by the business, as well as support ongoing operations related to the Direct to Consumer data ecosystem
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design and participate in the development, testing, scaling and maintenance of data pipelines from a variety of source systems and streams (Internal, third party, cloud based, etc.), according to business and technical requirements.
- Deliver observable, reliable and secure software, embracing a “you build it you run it” mentality, and focusing on automation and GitOps.
- Continually work on improving the codebase and have active participation and oversight in all aspects of the team, including agile ceremonies.
- Take an active role in story definition, assisting business stakeholders with acceptance criteria, clarifying requirements with the team, and supporting execution and delivery.
- Develop and champion best practices, striving towards excellence and raising the bar within the department.
- Develop solutions combining data blending, profiling, mining, statistical analysis, and machine learning, to better define and curate models, test hypothesis, and deliver key insights
- Operationalize data processing systems (dev ops)
- In cooperation w/ the data science team, productize machine learning models using workflow orchestrators such as Kubeflow/VertexAI or Apache Airflow
- Develop data catalogs and data cleanliness to ensure clarity and correctness of key business metrics
- Create and deliver effective presentations on a variety of subjects both internally to the team, and externally to the business and stakeholders
- Collaborate with Principal Engineers and Architects to share and contribute to the broader technical vision, and coordinate with partner teams to define requirements and drive the expansion of capabilities across the organization.
- Experience with near Real Time & Batch Data Pipeline development in a similar Big Data Engineering role.
- Experience designing, developing, and optimizing enterprise data processing applications utilizing Python and SQL
- Experience implementing scalable, distributed, and highly available systems in cloud platforms (GCP preferred)
- Demonstrated proficiency with the following (or similar) technologies:
- Kubernetes, Docker
- Apache Beam, Apache Flink, Apache Spark
- Google BigQuery, Snowflake
- Google BigTable
- Google Pub/Sub, Kafka
- Apache Airflow, Kubeflow
- Experience in processing structured and unstructured data into a form suitable for analysis and reporting with integration with a variety of data metric providers ranging from advertising, web analytics, and consumer devices.
- Experience operationalizing data science models/products
- Bachelors’ degree with a specialization in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, other quantitative field or equivalent industry experience.
- Ability to work effectively across functions, disciplines, and levels
- Team-oriented and collaborative approach with a demonstrated aptitude, enthusiasm and willingness to learn new methods, tools, practices and skills
- Ability to recognize discordant views and take part in constructive dialogue to resolve them
- Pride and ownership in your work and confident representation of your team to other parts of NBCUniversal.
- Strong Test-Driven Development background, with understanding of levels of testing required to continuously deliver value to production.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.