NBCUniversal 2024 Paris Olympics Sports Internship
- Business Segment: NBC Sports
This Is Your Golden Opportunity
We’re looking for world-class talent to help bring action-packed coverage of the Olympics and Paralympics to viewers across the country. With the Games of the XXXIII Olympiad set to take place in Paris, France, July 26-August 11, 2024, alongside the 17th Summer Paralympic Games from August 28-September 8, 2024, this is your chance to help shape one of the most monumental moments in sports.
Whether you're fully absorbed in the energy at our state-of-the-art facility in Stamford, Connecticut, or immersed in the vibrant atmosphere of Paris, this is your opportunity to capture the electrifying spirit of competition, to join in the magic, and to ignite inspiration through cutting-edge production and uncompromising storytelling. Become part of our winning team. Join us in bringing the most innovative, creative, and compelling Olympics and Paralympics coverage in our history to audiences everywhere.
NBC Sports connects people to the moments that matter most and serves sports fans 24/7 with premier live events, insightful studio shows, and compelling original programming. The sports media company presents premier content across linear platforms including NBC, USA Network, & Golf Channel, as well numerous digital sites, including Peacock. It also consists of NBC Sports Next, a subdivision of NBC Sports and home to all NBCUniversal digital applications in sports and technology within its three groups: Youth & Recreational Sports, Golf, and Betting & Gaming. NBC Sports possesses an unparalleled collection of media rights agreements, partnering with some of the most prestigious sports properties in the world: the International Olympic Committee and United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee, the NFL, NASCAR, INDYCAR, PGA TOUR, Notre Dame, Big10, PGA of America, USGA, Churchill Downs, Premier League, Tour de France, Roland-Garros, and many more.
Paris 2024 Olympics Internship Program:
- Applications Close: October 6, 2023, at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible – don't delay!
- Program Dates: Assignments can begin as early as May 13, 2024, and as late as August 16, 2024. Internships will run 3-6 weeks on average. Please read through each opportunity thoroughly to determine the length of each specific assignment.
- Time Commitment: 40 hours per week. Exact schedule to be determined based on business need.
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations (listed below) you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed below).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
This posting represents opportunities across various departments and roles supporting the 2024 Paris Olympics.
Areas of placement may include, but are not limited to:
Responsibilities may include:
- Assisting sport producers with footage needs, transcribing, and basic research.
- Script running for studio shows.
- Building on-air graphics.
- Candidates must be self-starters, proficient with computers, and have knowledge of sports.
- Position requires accuracy, promptness, and patience.
Digital Production Assistants
Assist in the production of 100+ daily video highlights and features during the Olympic Games, from every Olympic sport, for publication on NBC’s digital platforms. Those include Peacock, NBCOlympics.com, the NBC app, social media channels, and connected television apps.
Responsibilities may include:
- Monitoring live Olympic events, noting and clipping significant moments.
- Supporting producers & editors with shot selection and story research.
- Preparing video for digital publishing – creating thumbnail images, adding descriptive metadata, etc.
- Experience producing sports highlights using AVID or Adobe Premier.
- Experience publishing video to digital/social platforms.
- Working knowledge of Adobe After Effects or Photoshop (a plus).
Digital Editorial Associates
Assist with day-to-day content creation, publishing and management on NBCOlympics.com and in the NBC Sports app. Responsibilities may include:
- Real-time monitoring of live events during shifts, keeping an eye out for newsworthy moments.
- Assist with headline writing and tagging of written and video content.
- Assist with titling and metadata management of live streams on multiple digital platforms.
Preferred skills/ experience:
- Knowledge of sports and internet culture with a passion for the Olympics.
- Experience publishing content in a content management system.
- Some experience in Adobe Photoshop (at minimum, comfort cropping and re-sizing photos).
- Familiarity with AP style and SEO techniques.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work well on deadline.
Digital Commercial Operations Intern
This position will be working within the Peacock Digital Network Operations Center (DNOC) as a team member providing assistance in delivering digital ads into NBCUniversal’s digital live event streams during the 2024 Summer Olympics. As part of this role, this intern will be responsible for inserting digital ad pods into live streams as well as real time monitoring and support for the delivery of NBCU content.
Responsibilities may include:
- Inserting advertising pods into digital livestreams.
- Monitoring the end-to-end distribution of NBCUniversal digital video assets on NBC OTT Platforms including any issues with audio, video, cc, or issues with the streams themselves.
- Perform monitoring and support of digital video workflows including escalating to Level 1/Level 2 operators.
- Clearly communicating with production teams to ensure broadcast standard execution of livestreams.
- Physical checks on endpoint devices and platforms to ensure assets are available & functioning as expected.
Digital Streaming Operations Intern
Responsible for learning to manage timely and reliable delivery of NBCU live and Video On Demand (VOD) content to the NBC OTT Platforms. This role provides real time monitoring and support for the delivery of NBCU content.
Responsibilities may include:
- Monitor the end-to-end distribution of NBCUniversal digital video assets on NBC OTT Platforms.
- Perform Level 1 monitoring and support of digital video workflows including escalating to Level 2, resolution and reporting out.
- Digital encoder set up of event-based streaming across all events during the 2024 Paris Olympics.
- Clearly communicate with production teams to ensure broadcast standard execution of livestreams.
- Physical checks on endpoint devices and platforms to ensure assets are available as expected.
- Partner with engineering to monitor traditional and digital signal transmission.
- Assist digital technical teams with testing and other preparations in the lead-up to the Olympics.
- Experience running live streams of college/school sporting events.
- Experience, understanding and knowledge of digital product and distribution systems, standards and processes.
- Technical experience with digital video and audio, troubleshooting and test techniques.
- Prior experience with video encoding, delivery distribution workflows.
- Strong attention to detail, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Effectively flexible in approach, and responds well to pressure.
- A track record of meeting or exceeding performance expectations
- Must be reliable and punctual.
- Responsible for logging events as they happen, as well as logging tapes from various feature shoots.
- Candidates must be proficient with computers and have knowledge of sports.
- Position requires accuracy, excellent typing skills, and patience.
Responsibilities include clerical and administrative tasks, production support and running errands. Runners must be flexible, willing to assist with any required task and approaching assignments with a great attitude.
Provide operational support to all NBC Olympics functional areas including:
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Telemundo Deportes
Additional skills required for IT Runners:
- Must be a self-starter willing to take on new tasks, with the ability to prioritize, manage time, and quickly respond to issues.
- Must be willing and eager to learn new skills and processes, as well as willing to work with other groups outside of IT.
- Must be willing to learn new technical skills, such as pc equipment and software setup, and assist with testing software.
- In pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor’s, or Graduate degree at an Accredited Institution and able to provide documentation to confirm degree progress.
- Must be enrolled in college at the time of the internship with current class standing of Sophomore or above (students who graduate prior to July 2024 will not be eligible for the program)
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Must be willing to work assigned hours which may include evenings and weekends along with travel and overtime on short notice.
- Must be willing to work in Stamford, CT or Paris, France.
- Students with class standing of junior or above preferred.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Resourceful problem solver, with the ability to prioritize and create approaches to meet required objectives.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment under pressure with tight deadlines, simultaneously handling multiple projects.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about Olympic sports.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to multitask.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by emailing [email protected].