NBC 4 LA Internships – Academic Year
- Business Segment: NBCUniversal Local
See yourself at NBCU! Be a part of our intern community, a diverse group of curious and passionate trailblazers who we believe are the future of our industry.
The NBCUniversal Internship Program allows students to unlock their potential by contributing to big projects in meaningful ways that matter. To thrive as an NBCU intern, you are ready to bring your passion for media, entertainment, and technology along with your desire to learn each day.
Your professional development is important to us. NBCU interns receive career prep, leadership exposure, connection to other interns, networking, and of course, all the fun you can imagine along the way. Because we know it can be challenging to balance coursework and internship commitments, we offer interns paid time off for mental health, school exams, and personal holidays.
To meet students where they are, we will host internships in both a virtual and in-person format. Opportunities listed will either be in-person based on the location mentioned or virtual, depending on business needs. Some of our internship opportunities that begin in September will continue through the Academic Year and end in April. Please be sure to read this job description carefully and note the internship dates, locations, and departments before applying.
Academic Year Internship Program:
- Applications Close: June 9, 2023 at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible – don't delay!
- Program Dates: September 18, 2023 – April 19, 2024
- Time Commitment: 16-24 hours per week. Exact schedule to be determined based on business need. We will do our best to accommodate course schedules.
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations (listed below) you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed below).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
NBCUniversal Local is NBCUniversal’s local media division that delivers English and Spanish-speakers and bilingual audiences in 31 U.S. markets and Puerto Rico, the very best in local sports, news, weather, consumer and investigative reporting, and lifestyle entertainment across any platform and screen. NBCUniversal Local is comprised of three individual media groups including the NBC Owned Television Stations, the NBC Sports Regional Networks and the Telemundo Station Group. NBCUniversal Local’s stations and networks serve diverse audiences and communities across linear, streaming, OTT, digital web, mobile and audio, and cable platforms and work together to keep local audiences informed anytime and anywhere.
Areas of placement may include, but are not limited to:
Interns will work side by side with show producers and story producers working under deadline to produce accurate and compelling stories. Interns assist with a variety of News Gathering responsibilities. Interns may have opportunities in the following areas: OTT, Assignment Desk, Sports, Investigative, and Politics.
The Field Shop intern will assist photojournalist crews on daily execution of news including: acquisition of visual elements, editing of story, transmission of story via various methods, live shot remote execution, experience intake, distribution and production of content into the building, and work with crews to establish live shots.
Local Integrated Media
Interns will work with an integrated digital news team, working alongside veteran award-winning journalists who publish on the TV stations’ websites in English and Spanish, post to their branded social channels, and much more. Interns will cultivate news writing skills, work in a fast-paced environment, sharpen reporting skills, and learn to work in a multitude of programs toward one major goal: breaking accurate news fast online. The team works in tandem with the TV stations’ newscasts, converting on-air scripts to easy-to-read digital stories with attention-grabbing headlines.
Research & Sales Marketing
Interns will assist with writing scripts for sales segments, perform air-checks for on-air clients, research potential ad sales clients provide support with sweepstakes execution, support the Sales Marketing team with special projects, create PowerPoint presentations for Account Executives, and more. Interest in sales, marketing and market research is a must!
- Must be actively enrolled in a degree-granting program at an accredited institution during the entire duration of the program.
- Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits).
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA.
- Students with class standing of junior or above preferred.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Strong interest in the media industry
- Commitment to building an inclusive work environment
- Ability to multitask and highly organized
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Previous internship experience within a corporate setting
- AP Style writing
- Fluent in Spanish is a plus (written and verbal)
- For Production/Editorial: Experience on a school newspaper or campus news station is a plus.
- For Creative/Digital: Experience with social media platforms and various creative tools (i.e. Adobe Photoshop or Premiere, Wordpress) and/or photography experience preferred.
- For Photography: Basic knowledge of ENG and prosumer cameras, Adobe Premiere, Edius and similar edit platforms, as well as an understanding of basic lighting and understanding FTP transmission
- A background in any of the following areas: Journalism, Production, Communications, English, Digital Media, Photography, Research, Sales, Finance, Advertising, Marketing
The hourly rate for student interns is $17.00.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.