Software Engineer (Java)
- Business Segment: NBC Sports
Albatros Datenservice GmbH, a division of NBC Sports Next, is an innovative technology company that powers solutions for golfers and golf courses to better connect. Our course management software and services help our Golf Course partners across Europe and South Africa increase their rounds and revenue and manage their business operations.
We are driving forward and reshaping an entire industry, building innovative new web based and mobile products, and assisting golf course operators to manage profitable and sustainable businesses.
We take pride in offering an exceptional team member experience with generous benefits and perks designed to offer financial security, support wellbeing and enhance work life balance.
Our business is fun to be part of, and our employees are connected to a truly global company within NBCUniversal. This is a great opportunity to advance your career and be a part of an exciting business with plans for significant future growth.
As a key member of the Cape Town based team, The Software Engineer will develop software for our current and next generation cloud and mobile enterprise products. Working closely with Product, Engineering and Operational Teams, this highly visible and mission critical position will assist in the development of products that process tens of millions of online golf rounds per year. You will work with cutting edge technologies and become involved in the implementation and evolution of the entire product development lifecycle.
The Software Engineer will contribute their skills and experience as a Java developer and be part of a multi-disciplinary team that is responsible for new products, new features, maintenance and support of our platform through the delivery of key responsibilities that include;
- Contributing to the design and development of Object-Oriented software.
- Interacting with multiple stakeholders spanning Product, Technology and Operations teams.
- Contributing to the software development lifecycle including analysis, design, coding and testing.
- Ensure clear documentation.
- Proactively managing their own tasks to agreed deadlines.
- The ability to take ownership for delivery of any projects they are contributing towards.
- Adopting and providing feedback on industry best practices to our development teams.
- Working collaboratively within and beyond the team to identify innovative ways to improve practices and procedures.
It is essential that candidates have:
- Extensive professional Software Development experience
- Experience using SQL and RDBMS, preferably PostgreSQL
- Experience developing in Java and frameworks (Spring/Hibernate)
- Experience of Docker
- Experience across a Test Driven Development (TDD) process
Candidates must also be able to demonstrate:
- Professional experience in Object Oriented Development
- That they are self-motivated, highly organised, proactive, and passionate about software development
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills with attention to detail
Additional skills and experience that would be desirable:
- Unit testing and Mocking frameworks
- CI/CD with build tools such as Jenkins/GitHub/GitLab
- Agile delivery principles & supporting processes
Location: Cape Town SA - Hybrid working arrangements available.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.