Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- 300 New Jersey Ave. NW, Washington, District of Columbia
- Business Segment: Staff
Join our NBCUniversal EPIC Legal Team! EPIC symbolizes the key foundational principles necessary for continued success as we strive to be extraordinary partners to the business in an evolving environment. Here at NBCU Legal, we are Expert Partners who provide Inspiring and Creative solutions to our clients. We are subject-matter experts, who collaborate with our legal colleagues and clients to guide, solve and push for our collective success. We inspire by bringing optimism and positivity to our work and apply strategic and innovative thinking to overcome the obstacles facing our businesses.
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group,
world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service. Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
NBCUniversal is seeking a Vice President to join the Regulatory Affairs team, which (i) supports NBCUniversal businesses across a wide range of federal regulatory compliance matters within the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and (ii) collaborates with internal and external partners in furtherance of the company’s regulatory, legislative and policy advocacy efforts. Candidate must possess deep expertise in various aspects of broadcast and media regulation, including FCC licensing/approvals and technical compliance with FCC rules and guidance. Must be highly detail-oriented and organized, with superior analytical, problem-solving and communications (influencing/writing) skills.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Advising NBCUniversal-owned television stations, broadcast/cable networks, theme parks and other business units on FCC regulatory requirements relating to: licensing of broadcast and other communications facilities, station transactions, facility modifications, spectrum management, retransmission consent, program access/carriage, media ownership and attribution, foreign ownership, sponsorship identification, foreign sponsorship identification, and accessibility, among other areas.
· Working with company engineers, Regulatory Affairs colleagues, NBCUniversal business units and legal counsel in the preparation, tracking and management of a wide range of FCC applications, periodic reports and regulatory approvals.
· Monitoring rulemaking and other proceedings at the FCC, and where relevant, assisting with the development of policy positions and the review/drafting of pleadings.
· Participating in advocacy before the FCC with respect to the policy and regulatory positions of NBCUniversal, including media ownership, accessibility, sponsorship identification, EEO and children’s programming.
· Advising on the spectrum auction reimbursement process as relevant to the company, including FCC coordination and engineering requirements.
· Supporting NBCUniversal’s ATSC 3.0 deployment efforts, including internal strategy, FCC filings and third party contracts.
· Assisting Regulatory Affairs, Federal Government Affairs and other NBCUniversal business units with other FCC-related topics as needed.
· Reporting to SVP, Regulatory Affairs, NBCUniversal
· JD from an accredited law school
· Active state bar membership (member of the District of Columbia bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel)
· Minimum 10 years relevant regulatory experience, including from law firm, the Federal Communications Commission, or in-house legal department of a major media company
· Minimum 5 years experience of deep FCC regulations and policies
· Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Additional Job Requirements
• Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
· Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to communicate and counsel at all levels of the organization (including with NBCUniversal’s senior leadership)
· Ability to handle multiple priorities and conflicting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
· Client-focused approach when advising on risk and explaining complex legal and regulatory issues in a concise and straightforward manner
· Exercising sound judgment and professionalism to resolve legal issues quickly
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, including escalating matters as needed
· Flexible to acquiring new areas of expertise as business needs change
· Experience handling matters before the FCC strongly preferred
· Station transactional experience (contracts review and M&A) desirable
· Experience with other federal regulatory requirements (e.g., FTC, FDA) and/or other emerging policy areas impacting digital media (privacy, online platform governance, Section 230, algorithmic activity and artificial intelligence) a plus
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.