Pastry Chef - French Market (M/F)
- Rua de Miragaia 103, 4050-386 Porto, Portugal
- Funcao / Job: Pastry Chef
Mystic Cruises is an expedition ocean cruise line offering an incredibly intimate view of some of the world’s most exciting destinations, including Antarctica, the Arctic region, Northern Europe, and the Mediterranean, in an ecofriendly way, but with all the comfort of a fivestar service. Mystic Cruises sail into the heart of landmark cities, as well as to small, exclusive ports where larger vessels cannot enter, to provide our guests onceinalifetime experiences. With a strong commitment to environmental sustainability, Mystic Cruises implemented technological innovations on its ships in order to ensure a minimal impact of its operations.
- To oversee the daily Pastry operation, safe food handling of Pastry personnel;
- To supervise preparation and presentation during service hours, to control traffic in the Pastry and to foster cooperation and good communication with the various sections;
- To take active part in the actual food preparation;
- To ensure that desserts and pastries are consistently prepared according to the highest possible standards;
- Responsibility for all aspects of the daily Pastry operation needed for the Pastry Show Table;
- To ensure that all Pastry Staff comply with the latest Health and Sanitation regulations at all times (USPH and all other Port Health Authorities) and overseeing the entire cleaning procedures in the Pastry Department;
- To know the requirements of the menus and to forecast a Requisition of all Pastry items according to operational needs through the Provision Department in conjunction with the Executive Chef;
- To follow up on culinary trends in order to create new creative dessert ideas in conjunction with the Executive Chef;
- To ensure that any Maintenance issues in the Pastry areas are reported in a timely manner and that the work orders are followed up on accordingly;
- To monitor and control the inventory of the Pastry Department;
- To ensure that all Pastry Work Registration Forms are completed correctly and handed in to the Executive Chef in a timely manner;
- To adhere to, and to ensure that the Pastry Staff adheres to all Company Policies and Procedures, Manuals and Directives;
- Other responsibilities, as assigned, but not limited to the above.
- Culinary Institute Diploma or apprenticeship as Patisserie and/or Confectioner required;
- Minimum of three (3) years in a hotel or two (2) years experience onboard a cruise ship in similar position required;
- Must have a very strong, balanced background in the culinary field and a sound knowledge of culinary Pastry arts and fine dining is essential;
- Understands all aspects of Pastry as well as the managerial aspect of the operation;
- Highly motivated with a strong drive and high level of energy and flexibility;
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English;
- Must have excellent communication skills;
- Must have very good administrative skills (Microsoft Office);
- Must have excellent organizational skills and show attention to detail;
- Must possess excellent leadership skills and the ability to interact with all levels of people;
- Must be able to communicate and implement corrective action steps in an effective, yet diplomatic fashion;
- Must be able to remain calm under pressure;
- Needs to have an outgoing personality and has to possess a positive attitude, maintaining a friendly and approachable demeanour while remaining firm at all times.
- To assist the Executive Chef in controlling the food cost as well as the operations cost in the Pastry Department maintaining given standards and product quality;
- To monitor and control the use of consumables in the Pastry Department;
- To monitor and assist the Executive Chef in controlling vacation schedules;
- To monitor and control all Pastry expenditures to ensure that it stays within the limits of the Consumable and M&R Budget;
- To ensure that Company property is maintained properly and treated with respect at all times.
- To ensure that the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment in the Pastry work areas is implemented at all times;
- To ensure that Safe Lifting Techniques are practiced at all times in the Pastry Department;
- Ensure that all staff in the Pastry is instructed on Safe/Proper Galley Equipment handling at all times;
- To be familiar with the Ship`s Emergency Plan;
- To do In Port Manning duties as scheduled and as required by Company policy.
- To follow instructions on Safety Card;
- To prepare hospitalized patients for evacuation;
- To provide assistance as instructed;
- To participate in Guest/Crew Lifeboat Drills as per instructions;
- Other safety responsibilities, as assigned, but not limited to the above.
Team Education & Training
- Introduction of Job Duties and Departmental functions including continuous onthejobTraining for the entire Pastry Department;
- To follow up and maintain a continuous Training Program of proper International Confectionery techniques.
Team Communication and Meetings
- To communicate with the Sous Chef and Executive Chef on a regular basis;
- To attend meetings with further Galley Staff on a regular basis.