Baker - French Market (M/F)
- Rua de Miragaia 103, 4050-386 Porto, Portugal
- Funcao / Job: Baker
Mystic Cruises is an expedition ocean cruise line offering an incredibly intimate view of some of the world’s most exciting destinations, including Antarctica, the Arctic region, Northern Europe, and the Mediterranean, in an ecofriendly way, but with all the comfort of a fivestar service. Mystic Cruises sail into the heart of landmark cities, as well as to small, exclusive ports where larger vessels cannot enter, to provide our guests onceinalifetime experiences. With a strong commitment to environmental sustainability, Mystic Cruises implemented technological innovations on its ships in order to ensure a minimal impact of its operations.
- To oversee the daily Bakery operation, safe food handling of Bakery personnel in conjunction with the Galley Utility #1;
- To take active part of the actual food preparation;
- To ensure that products are consistently prepared according to the highest possible standards and to follow the set standards for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Buffets, as well as for the Crew;
- To train, coach, council, support and delegate all of the Bakery staff;
- To ensure that all Bakery personnel comply with the latest Health and Sanitation regulations (USPH and all other Port Health Authorities) at all times and to oversee the entire cleaning procedure in the Bakery;
- To know the requirements of the Menus and to forecast and Requisition Bakery items according to operational needs through the Provision Department in conjunction with the Executive Chef;
- To report any Maintenance issues in the Bakery in a timely manner and to ensure that the work orders are followed up on accordingly;
- To monitor and control the inventory of the Bakery;
- To ensure that the Bakery Work Registration Forms are completed correctly and handed in to the Executive Chef in a timely manner;
- To adhere to all Company Policies and Procedures, Manuals and Directives;
- Other responsibilities, as assigned, but not limited to the above;
- Culinary Institute Diploma/Baker Certification or other relevant apprenticeship required;
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a hotel or other shore side facility or two (2) years onboard a cruise ship in a similar position required;
- A sound knowledge of culinary arts and fine dining is essential;
- Very strong, balanced background in International Cuisine and Baking Techniques;
- Highly motivated with a strong drive and high level of energy and flexibility;
- Very good spoken English;
- Must have very good administrative skills (Microsoft Office);
- Must have excellent organizational skills and show attention to detail;
- Must possess excellent leadership skills and the ability to interact with all levels of people;
- Must be able to communicate and implement corrective action steps in an effective, but diplomatic way;
- Must be able to remain calm under pressure;
- Needs to have an outgoing personality and has to possess a positive attitude, maintaining a friendly and approachable demeanour at all times.
- To keep leftover food to a minimum;
- Assist the Executive Chef in controlling the food cost as well as the overall operational costs required in the Bakery as required by Mystic Cruises by following given standards and without lowering product quality;
- To monitor and control the use of consumables in the Bakery;
- To ensure that Company property is maintained properly and treated with respect at all times.
- To ensure that the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment in the Bakery is implemented at all times;
- To ensure that Safe Lifting Techniques are practiced at all times in the Bakery;
- To ensure all Bakery Staff is instructed in all Safe/Proper Bakery Equipment handling and to ensure that Safe/Proper Bakery Equipment handling is practiced;
- To be familiar with the Ship`s Emergency plan.
- To follow instructions on Safety Card;
- To participate in Guest/Crew Lifeboat Drills as per instructions;
- Other safety responsibilities, as assigned, but not limited to the above;
Team Education & Training
- Introduction of Job Duties and Departmental functions including continuous onthejobtraining for the Bakery Staff;
- To follow up and maintain a continuous Training Program in regards with International Baking Techniques.
Team Communication and Meetings
- To communicate with the Utility Baker, Sous Chef and Executive Chef on a regular basis;
- To schedule and conduct meetings with bakery staff on a regular basis;
- To encourage and demonstrate good communication, excellent teamwork and continuous training, coaching and counseling.