Retail Security Officer
- High St, Littlehampton BN17, UK
Our purpose: our expertise, care, technology and insight create amazing work environments, helping our customers be exceptional every day.
Our promise to our people: a place to work where you can thrive and be your best every day.
Our promise to our customers: a trusted partner creating exceptional environments for your customers and people, adding value every day.
Our culture – our core values and how we behave:
- We are one Mitie: we work as one to deliver a seamless, unrivalled service. We are all in it together, if we can help a customer or colleague in any way, we will. We are one Mitie.
- We are built on integrity and trust: integrity and trust are at the heart of all we do. We are the face of company. We treat others as we would like to be treated. We are proud to work for Mitie.
- We go the extra mile: whether it’s keeping things running smoothly in a safe environment, looking for new ways to do things better or fixing problems, going the extra mile for our colleagues and customers and keeping our promises is in our DNA.
- Our diversity makes us stronger: we are very proud of our rich and diverse culture and backgrounds. Our diversity creates ideas and insights. Everyone at Mitie has a voice and is treated as an equal.
- Our customers’ business, is our business: we are a partner, trusted for our expertise and for putting our customers at the heart of everything we do.
At Mitie we know that ‘our diversity makes us stronger’. We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where our people can thrive and be their best every day. We are very proud of our rich and diverse culture and backgrounds. Our diversity creates ideas and insights. Everyone at Mitie has a voice and is treated as an equal. We recognise the unique contributions that you can bring and our people and customers thrive when we get this right.
Mitie has a great opportunity for a Retail Security Officer to join the Total Security Management Team.
Retail Security Officers must be available to cover various shift patterns as well as being flexible in their approach to working locations and potential changes to working patterns.
Job objectives and responsibilities
- Work to the Assignment Instructions ensuring that all activity is accurately recorded on the correct documents, in line with both the Client’s and the Company’s Quality Procedures
- To follow the site specific Risk Assessments ensuring all activites are completed in a safe manner
- Set and maintain the highest personal and professional standards as an employee of MITIE Total Security Management and adopt a total quality approach to every aspect of your work, colleagues and clients
- To create a safe shopping environment, free from crime and the fear of crime for customers and colleagues
- To add a polite greeting and excellent customer service
- Provide a visible security contact for customers and colleagues
- Respond to any on site incident or request for assistance and assume control until arrival of the Client, Emergency Services or Duty Manager
- To achieve and maintain the minimum published performance level required through officer evaluation
To deliver results for their identified area that meets or exceeds the budget and service delivery requirements through full responsibility and accountability for:
- To protect customers and colleagues from physical and verbal abuse
- To deter violence and public order offences
- To patrol the store and other areas and to undertake checks in accordance with the site assignment instructions
- To deter till snatchers, trolley pushouts and other bulk thefts
- To record any suspicious activity on to an incident report ensuring the correct information is captured using the SMART system and store management are informed
- Dealing with any difficult situations that arise in a safe and professional manner
- To be conversant with the Electronic Article Surveillance tagging system and complete regular checks of tagging standards
- Monitoring the store CCTV where appropriate
- Complete retrospective CCTV reviews focussing on shrinkage
- To be clean, tidy and properly dressed wearing full uniform, Sainsbury’s name badge. This should also include an SIA licence (s), identity badge, which all must be valid.
- To understand and always implement the ‘Ways of Working’
- Liaise with the store management teams giving clear and concise feedback
- Liaise with the Police and crime partnerships where required to foster a great working relationship to support the reduction of crime in store
- Completing reports by recording observations, information, occurrences and surveillance activities using SMART
- Utilise all equipment and technology to their fullest potential to maximise the impact upon security and stores losses
- To report all incidents fully by the end of the shift using the SMART system
- To wear and activate BWCCTV in accordance with company procedures
- Ensuring behaviours and situations that endanger the health and safety and wellbeing of colleagues, customers and fellow officers are identified and rectified in a timely manner in line with company policies
- Frontline Security Guarding, Door Supervision or Close Protection SIA licence (or have passed the relevant SIA training and hold valid certificates)
- A full five year checkable employment / education history
- Experience of delivering Customer Service
- Excellent communication skills are required both written and verbal
- Adaptable communication style to meet the needs of different people groups
- Ability to work in a fast moving services business
- Capability in the use of technology
- Good attention to detail
- High level of enthusiasm and passion
- Previous experience in a similar role is desirable but not essential
- Public Space Surveillance SIA licence is desirable but not essential
- Be willing to work towards, if not already held, an apprenticeship as is deemed appropriate for personnel development
It’s the little things that count -
On top of the usual rewards you'd expect to see from a large company, such as - holidays, pension, tax-free childcare schemes and cycle to work schemes, we also provide many extra benefits to enhance our people's well-being and enjoyment at work. A comprehensive training programme is in place to support personnel development
This job description is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for this position and the range of duties undertaken. A more detailed job description will be available at interview should you be successful in your application. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder throughout the period of employment. The job description may be varied from time to time by the Company to reflect changes in the post holder’s role and/or the needs of the business.