Technical Laboratory Assistant
- Shewalton Rd, Irvine KA11, UK
Mitie was founded in 1987, Mitie is the UK’s leading facilities management and professional services company, looking after a large, diverse, blue-chip customer base, from banks and retailers, to hospitals, schools and government offices. Mitie has over 49,000 people, 100+ office locations, and thousands of customers across the country, there’s no limit to what you can achieve if you work for us.
Delivering the exceptional, every day
• Our purpose: our expertise, care, technology and insight create amazing work environments, helping our customers be exceptional every day.
• Our promise to our people: a place to work where you can thrive and be your best every day.
• Our promise to our customers: a trusted partner creating exceptional environments for your customers and people, adding value every day.
• Our culture – our core values and how we behave:
1. We are one Mitie: we work as one to deliver a seamless, unrivalled service. We are all in it together, if we can help a customer or colleague in any way, we will. We are one Mitie.
2. We are built on integrity and trust: integrity and trust are at the heart of all we do. We are the face of company. We treat others as we would like to be treated. We are proud to work for Mitie.
3. We go the extra mile: whether it’s keeping things running smoothly in a safe environment, looking for new ways to do things better or fixing problems, going the extra mile for our colleagues and customers and keeping our promises is in our DNA.
4. Our diversity makes us stronger: we are very proud of our rich and diverse culture and backgrounds. Our diversity creates ideas and insights. Everyone at Mitie has a voice and is treated as an equal.
5. Our customers’ business, is our business: we are a partner, trusted for our expertise and for putting our customers at the heart of everything we do.
• Knowledge of relevant procedures
• Level of customer Service
• Team Player
• Health and safety awareness and knowledge
At Mitie we know that ‘our diversity makes us stronger’. We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where our people can thrive and be their best every day. We are very proud of our rich and diverse culture and backgrounds. Our diversity creates ideas and insights. Everyone at Mitie has a voice and is treated as an equal. We recognise the unique contributions that you can bring and our people and customers thrive when we get this right.
- The position is responsible for providing a range of support functions based at Irvine. The Technical Laboratory Assistant’s role is to provide services in support of the laboratory functions
- The role will include, but is not limited to,
- Stock management and eluent preparation
- Waste management
- Laboratory equipment and glassware cleaning
- Laboratory preparation
- Equipment calibrations and Functionality Testing
- Porterage and administration
- Raw Material sampling
- Weekend cover on rotation
- Stock Management and Eluent Preparation
- Preparation of eluents, aligned to the laboratory schedule
- Daily replenishment of laboratory chemicals, solvents, and consumables
- Waste Management. Daily collection and disposal of:
- Contaminated and non-contaminated sharps and glass waste
- Hazardous and non-hazardous solvent waste from laboratory fume cupboards
- Hazardous and non-hazardous samples post analysis
- Laboratory Equipment and Glassware cleaning
- Daily cleaning of specialist glassware and lab equipment
- Equipment Calibrations and Functionality Testing
- Daily, weekly, monthly calibrations and functionality testing of assorted laboratory equipment
- Adherence to calibration schedules and completion of appropriate documentation to GxP standards
- Transportation of samples from drop zone to the laboratories
- Replenishment of laboratory consumables
- Transportation of documents for archive as required
- Other Duties
- The Technical Laboratory Assistant will be required to work flexibly, to encompass any urgent or unanticipated needs arising for increases or decreases in plant production schedules
- Maintaining 100% in MyLearning
- Ensure that tasks are completed according to the schedule and therefore have no negative impact on production.
- Ensure scheduled equipment calibration and functionality testing is completed in line with the plan
- Flexibility to cover any activities that supports plant production
- Educated to HND level in a science subject (preferably chemistry)
- Enthusiastic, hard working and shows willing
- Confidence and communication skills to challenge behaviours and drive continuous improvement.
- Can perform under pressure and independent of supervision
- Works well as part of a team
- Experience of working within a GxP environment/laboratory (preferred)
- Position requires individual to be mobile (moving to/from various laboratories) and some physical lifting will be necessary
- Attention to detail & capability to work methodically to strict processes and procedures
- Rigorous management of results
- Compliance with health and safety requirements
Health and Safety responsibilities
- Follow Group and company policies and procedures at all times;
- Report any apparent deficiencies in systems of work or equipment provided that may result in failure of service delivery or risk to health and safety or the environment;
- Use all work equipment and personal PPE properly and in accordance with training received;
- Report any issues or training needs to your Line manager and /or via your divisional incident reporting system;
- Ensure compliance with Mitie's information security procedures in all activities;
- Proactively identify and report security risks to your manager;
- Report actual and suspected security incidents;
This job description Is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for this position and the range of duties undertaken. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder throughout the period of employment. The job description may be varied from time to time by the Company to reflect changes in the post holder’s role and/or the needs of the business.