Staff Nurse or Paramedic (Police Custody)
- Greater Manchester Police Custody Suites, Cheadle, gb
Care & Custody – a Mitie Company are looking for highly skilled Nurses and Paramedics to join our existing Custody healthcare teams working with National Police Forces.
Care & Custody HCPs are RGNs or Paramedics who are qualified Healthcare Professionals working in partnership with 12 National Police Forces & 4 Sexual Assault Referal Centres, to pro-actively reduce re-offending and care for detainees in police custody. We are looking for exceptional people to join our teams where you can become a key member of a highly respected organisation.
Health Care Professional
Registered General Nurse / Paramedic
£34,000 per annum
42 hours a week, 2 days 2 nights on, 4 off continous
Working in nursing, you will already have a passion for caring for others and achieve great satisfaction from seeing an unwell individual returning to health. In Care & Custody, that passion is of even greater importance to us: we care for some of the most vulnerable people in society who are taken into custody suites. Operating with a much higher level of autonomy and independence to the NHS, your actions can be life-saving when you consider the physical and mental challenges of people with who often have a high dependency on drugs and alcohol, and exhibit difficult behaviours.
Your impact on their lives should not be under-estimated: many of our staff are most proud of how their care and support, particularly with young people, can change the direction of their lives for the better. It’s not just about the highest clinical standards, but also your ability to listen, understand and help people: they will often open up to you, more than they would to a police officer, giving opportunity to identify root causes and connect them with relevant services that could truly help them.
You would be joining an HCP-Led mission that is growing nationally, as the market-leader in health care support for police services: and viewed as a front-line hero by the police and some of the detainees you bring back from the brink.
You will desire to work independently, in a fast-paced environment like in A & E ideally, where people look up to you and you’re in charge of the situation or the ambulance service however broad clinical experience in varied settings will also be considered. But you are not alone – joining a team of over 260 nationally, we pride ourselves on continuously raising our clinical standards, with development programmes accredited by Teesside University, including the opportunity to achieve The Faculty of Forensic and Legal Medicine’s Licentiate Award and / or PGCert in Advanced Nursing in Forensic Practice.
- Assessment & care of detainees and staff in custody suites.
- Forensic sampling, including road traffic offence bloods.
- Mental health and substance misuse assessments and management.
- Providing substance misuse therapies whilst in custody.
- Healthcare promotion, brief interventions & self-harm reduction.
- Referrals and Signposting to support wider vulnerabilities the reduction of re-offending.
- Working collaboratively with Liaison and Diversion colleagues to identify wider vulnerabilities.
You could be a good fit for this role if you:
- Are a qualified Adult RGN or Paramedic with a real passion for developing your clinical and wider skills in an environment that is ever changing.
- Have a minimum of 2 years post qualification experience as an Adult RGN or Paramedic with PIN
- Have a flexible approach working within a team that encourage new ideas and opinions on how to improve the service.
- Thrive working autonomously
- Show initiative when it comes to handling a wide range of situations
Police Vetting Requirements
You must have:
- Right to work in the UK
- Continuously resided in the UK for the previous 3 years, with no more than 3 months spent overseas at any one time.
- Full UK driving license.
- Active PIN & full membership of the HCPC (Paramedic), or NMC (RGN) with no restriction on practice.
- Flexibility to move across Custody Suites
Care & Custody, a Mitie company
As part of Mitie Group, and organisation with over 77,000 employees, there are opportunities to progress and learn to manage others with competitive salary (no enhancements), comparable to Band 6 nursing, with the option for overtime, salaries increase if you achieve Senior and Lead roles. You’ll join the MiDeals discount scheme with over 3000 offers available from your favourite retailers, leisure and utilities companies.