IT Systems Engineer
- London Bridge St, London SE1, UK
- Employees can work remotely
Mitie Energy are an award-winning, UK-based energy, utilities and sustainability solutions business. Our end-to-end capabilities mean that we can offer everything from standalone services to a fully outsourced and integrated solution.
We are part of Mitie, the UK’s largest facilities management provider. This means that we can advise, implement, deliver and manage solutions that leverage our expertise across multiple utilities and Smart buildings to provide maximum efficiencies and cost-savings.
Our clients’ energy, utilities and sustainability needs are diverse and often seemingly complex. Finding the right solution to meet these needs can be confusing. That’s why we have created a simple framework: Buy>Reduce>Comply that has been designed to meet all your end-to-end energy, utilities and sustainability solution needs.
- Alongside our Buy>Reduce>Comply framework services, we also offer a range of integrated and Smart solutions that capitalise upon economies of scale and greater insights from your data.
- We are completely independent so our advice, our services and our solutions are never affected or influenced by being a utilities provider.
- We have the expertise and track record across multiple utilities to significantly reduce costs and increase sustainability.
Job objectives and responsibilities
Leading sustainability management company in London is looking for an ambitious IT Systems Engineer. You will be joining small but very agile and independent IT department and will be responsible for design, management and evolution of core IT systems and associated security configurations and be responsible for development and system expansion across traditional co-location, hybrid and cloud hosting models.
You will be an ambitious and driven IT professional, with either an existing broad knowledge of IT networks, systems and their architectures or strong practical exposure to these topics. You will be genuinely interested in three core topics: networks and systems design, design of service continuity capabilities and design of suitable information security solutions. You will be passionate about design of Windows domain estates, about design of core hosted Windows/Linux capabilities but also Azure/AWS hybrid alternatives. You will either already have experience with or will want to learn more about service and system designs guaranteeing continual service delivery. You will either have experience with security system design or strong interest with ambition to dive deep into design of information security models to protect whole of the estate.
You will be joining to help the company to design, put in place and support best in class systems, networks, solutions & designs and security standards and to drive optimal IT service delivery in support of the wider business requirements. You will be responsible for embedding best of ITIL practices into Mitie (Energy) systems operation and service delivery.
As a part your duties, you will be responsible for designing and executing various IT system projects and for tailoring IT services to the highest levels of user satisfaction while improving service delivery effectiveness.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a candidate who has already worked in the IT industry (or UK energy sector), who is excited about architecture and security of systems and services, a candidate accustomed to working in fast paced and continually changing and evolving business environments. This role would also suit candidates who have variety of interests and proven skills across platforms and systems and who would prefer to further improve skills in the area of system and service administration, system design, information security and project delivery before moving up to more senior levels.
You will use your natural gravitas, professionalism, organisational and technical skills to influence team decisions and ensure smooth delivery of all IT services.
Reporting to the Head of Technology, Mitie (Energy), the role of the IT Systems Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Drive execution of immediate Mitie (Energy) IT infrastructure changes affecting Mitie (Energy) hosting and end-user platforms
- Complete detailed review of current Mitie (Energy) systems and service information security position and assist Head of Technology in delivery of a change/optimisation plan in relation to Mitie (Energy) platform and service security
- Review current information security model of end-user mobile and laptop/desktop devices, highlight tactical and strategic risks and devise an optimisation/improvement plan
- Review exiting patching model against industry best practices and existing Mitie practices with focus on Windows (Microsoft), Windows (Third Party) and non-Windows operating systems in use across Mitie (Energy) estate
- Design an internal and external continual and/or periodic security testing framework to further re-enforce ISO 27001 status of Mitie (Energy) hosting platform
- Take a proactive role in representing Mitie (Energy) in wider InfoSec Mitie-group activities
- Perform detailed review of current Mitie (Energy) hosting system design and deliver documentation framework supporting in-place system architecture
- Reinforce current system and service delivery model by designing and putting in place improvements affecting service continuity, disaster recovery, information security
- Take active part in defining evolution route for all Mitie (Energy) IT hosted and edge systems and services and proactively engage in all aspects of R&D and POC to support evaluation and implementation of such solutions
- Lead the process of continual system/service design, architecture, release and support
- Work closely with team members and the Head of Technology on the definition and implementation of the best service delivery practices
- With the help of the head of Technology, take the lead in the delivery of various IT systems projects in the domain of technical architecture, technical implementation, testing and training
- Provide support to end-users in the acquisition, implementation and operation of new systems and services
- Catalogue all of the IT systems and services and ensure that appropriate system and service documentation is in place at all times
- Ensure that all systems and services and their dependencies are covered with aligned support procedures and policies
- Regularly report to the Head of Technology on all aspects of system service delivery
- Provide on-call support during out-of-office hours for all mission critical escalations that would otherwise put in question continual Mitie (Energy) IT service delivery
- Continuously manage various supplier relationships
- Pass relevant annual certifications required for retention of Mitie (Energy) Microsoft Partner Network member
- Continuously seek to improve existing services through the application of best practices and IT trends
- Attend and actively participate in daily and weekly team meetings
- Learn about Mitie Energy products and services and keep up to date with any changes
- Complete other duties as and when assigned
Location: The role will be based in Mitie’s Shard office in London, however there will be some occasional travel to Northampton, Portsmouth, Bracknell and Mitie (Energy) data centres (London and Woking).
- A minimum of 2+ years of experience in designing and evolving Windows, Linux and mixed hosting estates
- A minimum of 1+ years of experience in assessing, designing and evolving systems and services core and edge security models at all levels including infrastructure, Windows/Linux systems and application services
- At least 2+ years of experience in building virtual hosting and service delivery environments in a Colo, hybrid or cloud environments
- Strong interest in IS security architecture, security solutions and principles of design of security solutions, understanding of ISO 27001 or Cyber Essentials/Cyber Essential Plus frameworks and/or possession of PCI DSS and/or PCI QSA certifications would be very welcome
- At least a year of experience in working with hybrid Colo-cloud IAAS models and integrating and securing elements of hybrid estate
- Strong knowledge of virtual environments built on private hosting stacks on VMWare 5.x/6.x/7.x core with ability to further improve, design and scale such environments
- Knowledge of virtual hosting DR, backup and recovery designs, specifically at least 1 year of experience with Veeam Backup & replication
- Detailed understanding of Windows 2008/2012/2016 server environments and ability to configure those in standalone or HA configurations
- Strong understanding of SSL protection, how SSL certificates are issued, how they protect services (i.e. HTTPS, TLS, EAP) and how they should be managed
- Strong understanding of IP networking protocols and ability to configure and control equipment terminating WAN and LAN networks (preferably Cisco)
- Full understanding of Microsoft domain architecture including Active Directory, Group Policy, roaming profiles and Windows Scripting and solid understanding of hybrid implementations (AD over hybrid, Colo-cloud architectures)
- Strong experience with remote desktop technologies including Remote Desktop Services, Remote App services and Direct Access/Always On
- Good understanding of SAN and NAS storage architectures, security and performance optimisation routes
- Good understanding of the role and system configuration of the SQL server 2012/2014/2017 platforms including configuration modes, maintenance, monitoring
- Understanding of how key networking services really work including DNS, FTP, SMB, routing, layer2/3 switching, stateless firewall, IPsec based VPN setup, load balancing etc.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with an exceptional work ethic and individual accountability
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills required to provide timely and professional support service
- Out-of-the-box thinking to get tasks done
- Team player with ability to win support of various business stakeholders through direct engagement
- Enthusiastic to continually learn and/or expand core knowledge and not afraid to step into new areas of the IS architecture, management and service delivery
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Working within the Mitie values and behaviours
Mitie is a people business. It’s our people, and their drive to do their jobs to the best of their ability that makes us different.
We do what we say we will.
How we behave…
- We treat all colleagues with respect
- We challenge people when they don’t do the right thing
- We welcome advice from anyone that might improve what we do
- We are open and honest
- We think safety and always follow rules for safe working
We go out of our way to make a difference