Retail Security Officer
- 35 Duchess Rd, Rutherglen, Glasgow G73 1AU, UK
Mitie was founded in 1987 and is one of the largest facilities, management and professional services companies within the UK. They look after a large, diverse, blue chip customer base, from banks, retailers, hospitals, schools and government offices.
The principal objectives of the Security Officer can be summarised as being:
“the protection of people and assets from injury and/or loss caused by intruders, fire, theft, damage, wastage or accident, so far as it is reasonably practicable, therefore minimising financial loss and the protection of people in or on the client’s premises”. Some examples of the collective objectives and responsibilities are listed below, however this list is not exhaustive and is offered as an example only.
To prevent and/or detect:
- Access by unauthorised people or vehicles.
- Damage or theft.
- Unauthorised use of equipment.
- Unauthorised use of keys to enter restricted or secured areas.
- Loss of valuables or property.
- Loss of confidential information.
- Greet visitors to the premises in a friendly and courteous manner and carry out their duties with due regard and consideration to others – you are an ambassador for Mitie and may be the first or only point of contact for our client.
- Controlling access and egress of authorised people.
- Assisting with the safety of visitors, contractors and employees regarding health and safety.
- Adhere to the Mitie vision, standards and code of conduct (One code).
This list will highlight the main areas of the officer’s duties; however, this list is not exhaustive and should not replace the agreed assignment instructions to which all duties are listed with specific details;
- Ensure good timekeeping and attendance for all allocated shifts.
- Employees must ensure that you wait for your relief to attend shift and complete a handover, should your relief fail to show or blow out then you MUST contact MiTec and receive further instructions.
- Promote exceptional teamwork with colleagues everyday.
- Controlling access and egress of staff and visitors.
- Reception duties, including meet and greet.
- Public interaction, (Location dependant). Customer service front facing polite and professional interactions.
- Maintain a positive relationship with members of the public through communication and conflict management skills.
- Respond professionally and enhance the quality and reputation of your service.
- Identify positive alternatives to physical intervention and understand the importance of only using physical intervention as a last resort.
- Patrols utilising Mobile patrol system, (Location dependant).
- Issues/incident communications with control room, customer contacts and Mitec.
- Ensuring that site locations/buildings are secure by ensuring that all people accessing are checked at the point of entry ensuring they have the right to enter.
- As far as possible ensure that no-one is allowed to proceed through security check points without complying with the requirements in force at the time.
- Supporting the delivery of security requirements and ensuring that issues that affect the security of the site are brought to the attention of the security supervisor (if applicable), customer and Operations Manager.
- Operation and control of barrier/gate systems where utilised.
- On-site security patrolling and other secondary security duties.
- Available to work shifts including days, nights, public holidays and weekends either on a set shift pattern or on a relief basis, usually working in line with business demands.
- Ability to pass a drug and alcohol test and be subject to random testing throughout employment.
- Able to perform searches which involves bending, stretching and twisting, (when required).
- Able to move baggage in and out of X-Ray machine and storage lockers, involves bending, stretching and twisting.
- Able to gain and to maintain an SIA licence.
- Willing to undergo a 5-year employment check and able to account for a full 5-year history, providing evidence of all employment, unemployment, training etc during this period in line with strict vetting criteria.
- Able to provide I.D documentation proving identity, right to work and all previous and current addresses in line with strict vetting criteria.
- No Current Convictions (Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 will apply)
- Must have excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Candidate must be physically fit and have no limitiations with lifting
SIA licence required
Duties incorporate retail in M&S store