Detainee Custody Officer Manager
- Airport Way, Luton LU2, UK
Mitie's Care + Custody business, which specialises in custodial management services, is responsible for managing and maintaining Europe's largest immigration removal centre, just outside Heathrow. We are a longstanding outsourcing partner to the UK government, helping manage immigration, provide facilities management services to part of the prison estate, and delivering forensic medical services to over 50 police custody facilities throughout England, Wales & Northern Ireland. We are currently 1200 team members strong and are continuing to expand our services into new areas across the UK and we want you to share in that success.
Detainee Custody Officer Manager
Location - Luton Airport
Hours - 42 hours a week
Salary - £29,800.90 per annum
Job objectives and responsibilities
As an experienced Detainee Custody Officer, you will be
- Responsible for the daily management of an area/areas of the Mitie Care + Custody Detention and Escorting contract, as allocated, ensuring an effective operation is delivered in line with company policies and procedures and contractual standards.
- Provide advice, coaching and support to staff in order to maximise the efficient and effective day to day operation of the contract.
- Manage the escorting operations of allocated area/s to meet Immigration Enforcement requirements and C&C service delivery expectations.
- Manage, motivate, coach, monitor and support staff to maximise their performance and ensure they are fully informed about and work in accordance with company policies and procedures and contractual requirements.
- Monitor performance against laid down criteria as required, and to actively support the Senior Management Team to develop service improvements.
- Identify and escalate appropriately incidents which may either impact on the smooth running of the operation, or the safety, security or welfare of detainees, staff or members of the public.
- Fulfil the responsibilities of the Senior Manager on site during an incident until a Senior Manager is available (if appropriate)to ensure the situation is managed in line with relevant standards and requirements.
- Manage the area/s to ensure health and safety is embedded into the operation and a safe environment is maintained.
- Develop a climate whereby high standards of cleanliness and good order are maintained within the site.
- Raise and maintain staff awareness on security so that security within the operation is maintained.
- Organise and manage the provision of accurate data for management information so that informed decisions can be taken.
- Propose and manage changes to shift patterns as required to meet the needs of the business.
- Maintain regular liaison with the operational control centre to ensure accurate and current communication.
- Manage the accurate completion of all necessary documentation in line with company policies and procedures, highlighting any potential issues and discrepancies,
- Experience as a DCO is essential.
- UK citizen, Citizen of the Commonwealth with your own indefinite leave to remain (not through marriage) or EEA citizen.
- Valid and in-date passport, with no restrictions on your stay in the UK (A valid visa in an expired passport cannot be used to prove right to work in the UK, you must provide a biometric residence permit alongside an in-date passport.
- Continuously resided in the UK for the previous 5 years with no more than 3 months spent overseas at any one time.
- Specific driving compliance is attached to this role.
- Full UK manual driving licence with at least 12 months post qualifying experience.
- Fewer than 7 points on your UK Driving Licence.
- Have not been subject to a driving ban within the last 5 years (from date of ban ending)
- Not currently bankrupt
- The position is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act; Successful candidates will be required to undergo Enhanced DBS and vetting to a level of Counter Terrorist Checked (CTC).
In return for your dedication and commitment we offer:
- Structured career development in a ‘People Centred’ company.
- Continued personal development training.
- A huge benefits package including pension schemes, private medical cover schemes, share schemes and MiDeals discount scheme with over 3000 offers available from your favourite retailers, leisure and utilities companies.
- Opportunities to grow and develop new skills to reach a whole new potential.