Detainee Custody Officer - DCO (E) – Overseas Escorting
- Airport Way, Horley, Gatwick RH6, UK
Delivering the exceptional, every day
• Our purpose: our expertise, care, technology and insight create amazing work environments, helping our customers be exceptional every day.
• Our promise to our people: a place to work where you can thrive and be your best every day.
• Our promise to our customers: a trusted partner creating exceptional environments for your customers and people, adding value every day.
• Our culture – our core values and how we behave:
o We are one Mitie: we work as one to deliver a seamless, unrivalled service. We are all in it together, if we can help a customer or colleague in any way, we will. We are one Mitie.
o We are built on integrity and trust: integrity and trust are at the heart of all we do. We are the face of company. We treat others as we would like to be treated. We are proud to work for Mitie.
o We go the extra mile: whether it’s keeping things running smoothly in a safe environment, looking for new ways to do things better or fixing problems, going the extra mile for our colleagues and customers and keeping our promises is in our DNA.
o Our diversity makes us stronger: we are very proud of our rich and diverse culture and backgrounds. Our diversity creates ideas and insights. Everyone at Mitie has a voice and is treated as an equal.
o Our customers’ business, is our business: we are a partner, trusted for our expertise and for putting our customers at the heart of everything we do.
Job objectives and responsibilities
· To perform the duties of a Detainee Custody Officer – Overseas Escorting in line with Immigration Legislation, Home Office Requirements & Mitie contractual standards
· To maintain high standards of welfare and empathy for detainees whilst ensuring that security and safety is maintained
· To live and demonstrate our Mitie values at all times
- Maintaining restrictions on detainees liberty whilst promoting and protecting their rights in compliance with legislation and company policy and procedures
- Maintain high standards of security and safety at all times, promoting an environment of positive behaviour that supports the welfare of detainees and staff.
- Search individuals, as necessary, seizing and storing forbidden items so that safety and security is maintained.
- Accompanying detainees on transfers within the UK to airports and then on scheduled flights to a designated country
- Accompanying groups of detainees on charter flights
- Driving detainees and colleagues between sites and airports/aircraft
- Receive and release individuals and property in line with company procedures to prevent incorrect release/detention of detainees or loss/misdirection of property.
- Liaison with staff working at other sites, immigration officials, airport personnel & overseas authorities
- Deal with vulnerable and difficult detainees in a calm and professional manner to reduce risk and ensure a safe and secure environment is maintained at all times
- Participate in the control of incidents and emergencies to ensure their swift resolution.
- Complete all documentation and administration in line with company policies so that accurate contractually compliant data is maintained.
- Communicate information to and about detainees, engendering positive, professional relationships with all detainees whilst maintaining the security and safety of the operation.
- Carry out other duties around the workplace such as administration tasks, ordering of supplies, cleaning of vehicles etc. under the direction of a local manager
- UK citizen, Citizen of the Commonwealth with your own indefinite leave to remain (not through marriage) or EEA citizen.
- Valid and in-date passport, with no restrictions on your stay in the UK.
- Continuously resided in the UK for the previous 5 years with no more than 3 months spent overseas at any one time.
- Specific driving compliance is attached to this role.
- Full UK manual driving licence with at least 12 months post qualifying experience.
- Fewer than 7 points on your UK Driving Licence.
- No driving ban/ disqualification within the previous 5 years.
- Not currently bankrupt.
- You must be able to pass a red/green colour-blind test as part of your air side driving requirement. (candidates should contact their optician before applying if they have any concerns)
- The position is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act; Successful candidates will be required to undergo Enhanced DBS and vetting to a level of Counter Terrorist Checked (CTC).
- Living within 50 miles of RH6 you must be able to reach Gatwick within 1.5 hours travel time.
Health and Safety responsibilities
· Follow Group and company policies and procedures at all times;
· Report any apparent deficiencies in systems of work or equipment provided that may result in failure of service
delivery or risk to health and safety or the environment;
· Use all work equipment and personal PPE properly and in accordance with training received;
· Report any issues or training needs to your Line manager and /or via your divisional incident reporting system.
· Ensure compliance with Mitie's information security procedures in all activities.
· Proactively identify and report security risks to your manager.
· Report actual and suspected security incidents.