Internal Controller (Zambian Nationals Only)
- Company Location: Avani Victoria Falls Resort
Refreshingly understated, contemporary and simple. Whether you want a leisurely family break or romantic escape, AVANI hotels and resorts provide the right space for relaxed and inspired comfort. Discerning service, relaxed dining and engaging recreation facilities for all guests are a given.
Responsible for financial oversight, internal auditing, risk assessment, tax compliance, and fixed asset management. This role will be responsible for the hotel's financial health, compliance, and other related job assignments of the hotel are recorded and compliance according to the MINT Finance Manual
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct regular internal audits to ensure compliance with accounting principles, policies, and regulations.
- Identifying discrepancies, errors, or irregularities in financial transactions and recommending corrective actions.
- Verifying the accuracy and completeness of financial records and reports
Risk Assessment and Management:
- Identifying financial risks and implementing controls to mitigate them.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant laws and regulations, such as tax codes and labour laws.
- In charge of the risk register of the hotel.
Record Keeping and Documentation:
- Maintaining organized and accurate financial records.
- Documenting financial policies, procedures, and internal controls.
Compliance and Ethics:
- Promoting ethical behaviour and compliance with the hotel's code of conduct.
- Ensuring that employees are aware of and follow financial policies and procedures.
Training and Education:
- Conducting training sessions for hotel staff on financial policies and controls.
- Keeping abreast of changes in accounting standards and regulations and disseminating this information to relevant personnel.
Tax Compliance and Management:
- Ensuring the hotel complies with all local, state, and federal tax regulations.
- Managing and overseeing the preparation and filing of tax returns, including income tax, sales tax, occupancy tax, and payroll tax.
- Developing and implementing tax planning strategies to optimize the hotel's tax position.
- Identifying opportunities for tax deductions, credits, and incentives.
- Advising management on tax-efficient ways to structure transactions and operations.
Fixed Assets Management:
- Maintaining a comprehensive register of all fixed assets owned by the hotel, including land, buildings, furniture, and equipment.
- Tracking the acquisition, disposal, depreciation, and impairment of fixed assets in accordance with accounting standards.
- Conducting periodic physical asset verifications to ensure the accuracy of asset records.
- Calculating and recording depreciation and amortization expenses accurately for fixed assets.
- Ensuring that the appropriate depreciation methods and useful lives are applied in accordance with accounting standards and tax regulations.
- Collaborating with management to plan and budget for capital expenditures related to fixed assets.
- Evaluating the financial feasibility and return on investment of proposed capital projects.
- Conduct periodic impairment tests for fixed assets to assess if their carrying values exceed recoverable amounts.
- Adjusting asset values and recognizing impairments as required by accounting standards.
- Managing the calculation and documentation of tax depreciation for fixed assets, which may differ from financial depreciation.
- Identifying opportunities for tax incentives related to capital investments, such as tax credits for energy-efficient upgrades.
- Providing accurate and timely financial reports related to fixed assets and tax liabilities.
- Maintaining comprehensive documentation to support tax filings, including records of asset acquisitions, disposals, and depreciation calculations.
- Assisting auditors during tax audits and financial statement audits by providing necessary documentation and explanations related to fixed assets and tax matters.
- Ensuring that the hotel adheres to its tax planning strategies while remaining compliant with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Carry out any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Financial Controller or any other person designated by them.
- Understands the business environment and overall revenue sources from hotel operation.
- Positive “can do” attitude and flexible approach – manages with humility
- Must possess the appropriate professional qualification. (An accounting Degree is an advantage)
- Be able to communicate by the English Language with reading, writing, and speaking skills.
- Be able to work with computer applications, particularly Microsoft Office products, and email with experience in the general ledger and other hotel-related computer operating systems.
Full grade 12 certificate