- 918 Deming Way, Madison, WI 53717, USA
Midwestern BioAg (MBA) is seeking a Senior Chemist to help the company develop a National Organic Program (NOP) compliant version of our new TerraNu fertilizer product line. The Senior Chemist will conduct research on alternative solids separation and processing technologies as part of a Federally-funded research grant. The work will coordinate with a parallel market feasibility activity, field trials and other agronomic research. The position will be for a one-year term and allows for flexibility in the schedule from 75% time to full-time.
Midwestern BioAg is an innovative, soil-fertility company that is an industry leader in sustainable-agriculture, with core facilities in 8 states. We take pride in helping our customers increase farm productivity and profitability while reducing the environmental impacts of their operations. Founded in 1983 we use a transformative, systems-approach to soil health.
In today’s world, consumers, particularly millennials, are demanding sustainable food supplies, more nutrition, better environmental outcomes, and the transparency to know that these are in the food they buy. MBA is rapidly becoming the standard by which large food companies execute on this demand. MBA has an aggressive plan for growth, building on the 4,500 existing customers and 1 million acres they farm. In 2017, the company opened a new division that manufactures TerraNu; a breakthrough product that will expand the company’s reach and allow for more scalable growth.
The Senior Chemist position will work closely on method development and analysis for a new organic agricultural product and nutrient capture flocculants as it directly relates to an SBIR grant. This position will align new product development with market analysis. The Senior Chemist has knowledge of water treatment technologies and polymer chemistry and the ability to apply this knowledge to work in MBA’s lab. The Senior Chemist also has the ability to articulate the larger goals of the products and company to technical and professional non-technical audiences. This position may also work on other special projects as time allows.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Initiates, coordinates, and/or leads the Organic TerraNu product line development project as it relates to the SBIR grant including collaborations with external partners, such as academic groups, national lab, and contract testing labs.
- Demonstrates competency with laboratory work and the use of analytical instrumentation.
- Develops and performs complex laboratory experiments in support of new and existing product and application initiatives.
- Conducts competitive product evaluations and benchmarking of relevant products in regards to the organic TerraNu product development.
- Oversees and assists with laboratory analytical services as a technical advisor and/or hands-on experimentalist. This may include methods development, customer visits, and support for in-field product trials.
- Maintains timely, accurate, and thorough documentation of laboratory procedures and results; prepares analytical work sheets and reports.
- Develops mutually beneficial, respectful and effective relationships with peers to ensure seamless coordination between departments, maximize synergy, and maintain a shared vision, strategy, and focus.
- Supports the healthy, safety, and environmental programs by participating in compliance and corporate programs.
- Special project work as dictated by business needs.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in chemistry with at least 5 years relevant work experience in product development for fertilizer, water treatment, or other related industry;
- Or master’s degree in chemistry with at least 8 years relevant work experience in product development for fertilizer, water treatment, or other related industry.
- Current knowledge of polymeric materials in agriculture and water treatment industries in a plus.
- Has familiarity (or the ability to gain familiarity) with organic certification requirements.
- Experience supervising/managing junior level scientists as reports.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point as well as statistical programs.
- Proven analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
- Keen attention to detail and ability to generate accurate data.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to be thoughtful, thorough, and proactive in all work processes.
- Ability to work outside of standard work week as dictated by business needs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid drivers’ license and ability to drive a vehicle.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially relating to scientific speaking and/or writing related to biological sciences with the ability to present ideas or data in business- and user-friendly language.
- Ability to create and maintain strong rapport with employees, customers, and members of the public.
- Customer Focus: Builds effective relationships (internal and external), identifies customer expectations, and sees issues from their point of view; offers practical recommendations.
- Collaboration: seeks and enlists active participation of others to reach goals
- Personal Accountability: Accepts responsibility for own actions, including failure. Embraces experiences as learning opportunities and not chances to blame.
- Proactive Approach & Initiative: Identifies what needs to be done and doing it before being asked by developing a path to a desired outcome including sequence, feedback points, and time estimates.
- Priority Setting: Determines the interrelationships and relative importance of tasks and takes action accordingly
- Adaptability: Flexible style; receptive to change; able to fit the circumstances.
- Innovation: Generates new ideas and approaches to enhance the organization’s systems, products, or effectiveness.
- Humor: Uses appropriate humor to maintain a positive environment.
- Time Management: allocates time efficiently to the most important issues and knows what not to spend time on; completes work in a timely fashion.
- Planning: develops a path to a desired outcome including sequence, feedback points, and time estimates.
What We Offer You:
Midwestern BioAg offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide you and your family with top quality care. We offer both a generous paid time off plan in addition to paid holidays. We also offer a comprehensive benefit package including: medical, dental, vision, basic and voluntary life, short term disability, long term disability, flexible spending account, and retirement plan options.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To view this and other employment opportunities at Midwestern BioAg, please visit our website at www.midwesternbioag.com and select the CAREERS link at the bottom of the page.