Senior Sales Engineer
- Utrecht, Netherlands
A Sales Engineer at MicroStrategy plays an integral role in sales of our enterprise business analytics and mobility software. Sales Engineers work closely with sales teams to understand client and prospect technical and business needs and how those can be achieved with the capabilities of our software. They own the technical dimension of a sales cycle and demonstrate and proof our capabilities either in house or on customer site.
Job Duties (include but not limited to):
- Develops and delivers outstanding MicroStrategy presentations and demonstrations that range from standard to custom demonstrations. Effectively communicates with key IT and Business decision makers and influencers whether in a formal presentation or a casual conversation. Confident even in tense or adversarial situations. Well prepared, themed value-based approach to all presentations.
- Implements entire suite of MicroStrategy software for custom data engagements (CDEs) and proof-of-concept (POC) scenarios where customers or prospects evaluate in an on-premise or cloud development environment. Supports off-site and/or on-site Proof-of-Concept (POC) projects and/or CDEs utilizing MicroStrategy software to address a customer's business issue(s) of moderate to high scope with customer provided or mocked-up data. Solves unique and complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation or variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise.
- Constantly learns and develops expertise in MicroStrategy software through product training classes and unsupervised work assignments. Uses this experience and knowledge to develop expertise in MicroStrategy software including new releases.
- Responsible for staying abreast on the Micro Strategy product roadmap as well as understanding the scenarios, features, and functions within our product platform and how these are applied to address business and technical problems. Presents and articulates advanced product features and benefits, product future direction and overall MicroStrategy solutions.
- Acts as a resource and mentor for less experienced Sales Engineers.
- Delivers Introduction to Business Intelligence and Introduction to Mobile courses to prospects and clients on a quarterly basis and actively recruits attendees to these events.
- Provides presales technical / functional support to prospective clients and customers while ensuring customer satisfaction with minimal supervision. Maintains regular communication with clients to ensure on-going customer satisfaction and to identify new upsell opportunities.
- Arranges and conducts face-to-face client/customer meetings as necessary to to support presales activities (e.g., discovery, requirements analysis, presentation/demonstration)
- Attends MicroStrategy’s annual User Conferences and other marketing events while actively attracting prospects and clients to these events.
- Travels as required by geographic territory, but can be up to 25%. On occasion, proofs-of-concept can be held at customer locations causing volatility in this travel expectation
- Uses significant product knowledge and industry experience to take a team lead role on large RFP response projects. As a team lead, determines methods and procedures on new assignments and may coordinate activities of other personnel for RFP project responses. Supports any required RFP-related customer presentations and demonstrations.
- Designs, validates, and presents MicroStrategy software solutions to include advanced product concepts, future direction, and 3rd party complimentary products.
- Collaborates with all surrounding MicroStrategy sales support teams to facilitate our selling cycles.
- Focuses on large or complex sales opportunities that need creative and complex solutions.
- Regularly provides specialized technical guidance to others in work area. Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise. Communicates with peers persuasively to gain cooperation for projects and initiatives within own function.
- Uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways. Develops new concepts, methods & techniques & makes a sizeable impact on function/business unit.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent and a minimum of 3-5 years of related work experience (e.g., presales, consulting, and/or training)
- Experience in an equivalent presales role for an enterprise software company a major plus.
- Experience with Business Intelligence, Business Analytics products or relational database management systems a major plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills: needs analysis, positioning, business justification, closing techniques.
- Ability to present with confidence, simplifies complexity, successfully handles objections and controls the audience.
- Independent judgment and creativeness to address job duties that are varied and complex.
- Self-Motivated with excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrable ability to solve complex technical problems with accounts in complex technical environments using professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Ability to translate technical advantages into business benefits.
- Polished and professional in both appearance, personal interaction, and all communications.
- Demonstrable understanding of relational database management systems (RDBMS). Comfort with SQL is a plus.
- Proficiency in technologies which are complementary to MicroStrategy software a plus, particularly: .NET or JSP, Java, UNIX or Linux, Windows, Security, XML/XSL. DHTML is a plus.
- Ability to work well with peers and share knowledge and insights.
- Demonstrable experience in a project team lead role.
- Ability to execute multiple tasks successfully as well as ability to breakdown complex assignment into manageable tasks, assign milestone, monitor progress, and complete assignment on time.
- Successful completion of MicroStrategy certification program upon employment.
- Ability to travel up to 25% as needed.
- Fluency in Dutch and English required.
MicroStrategy is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.